Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Good Semi Metallic Vs. Economy Ceramic Brake Pads

happydog500
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
My friends are raving about Ceramic Brakes. They say the difference is very noticeable when going from Semi Metallic to Ceramic.

Since I'm on a tight budget, I was wondering what would be the difference between a good pair of Semi Metallic vs. economy pair of Ceramic? At the parts store, they have, 1.Semi Metallic, or 2.Ceramic. I see at rockauto, they have, "Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Semi-Metallic." How can it be both?

What do you think about Ceramic Brake Pads? I like the idea of not as much dust.

Thank you,
Chris.

Blue Bowtie
02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I prefer carbon-metallic pads. They do make a lot more dust, but the primary function of brakes is to STOP the vehicle. Nothing works better for that than carbon-metallic. Ceramic pads greatest advantage is that they do not create as much visible dust. That's great, so that your wheels look so much cleaner as they drive under the rear of a semi trailer in a hot panic stop.

HotZ28
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I used Raybestos ATD rotors & ceramic ATD pads for the last two brake jobs (4-yrs) and the hotter they get, the better they stop. When cold, they would stop similar to OEM pads/rotors when the OEM were new. All I can say is, they were an excellent set of brakes with minimal dusting! Recently upgraded to Centric drilled/slotted rotors along with Centric StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads, which "combine the benefits of premium street brake pads with aggressive friction formulas suitable for track day and autocross use. Para-aramid composites are specially formulated to provide linear responseat both cold and hot temperatures." Yes, there is a little more dust than ceramic, but the cold/hot stopping power is worth it! Best set of brakes I have ever used. Car begins to stop with just the weight of your foot on the pedal, rather than applying pressure to the pedal.

happydog500
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I was looking around at brake stuff. I see on a site with Rotors that says, "only replace Rotors in pairs."
I only replaced one, since it was gouged pretty good (wear tabs where on the leading edge, so I didn't get any noise until it was to late). The other one was OK.

Why do they say to only replace Rotors in pairs? What happens if you only replace one?

Chris.

danielsatur
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Consider changing the break fluid, and by bleeding the breaks you should be good.

Jrs3800
02-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I was looking around at brake stuff. I see on a site with Rotors that says, "only replace Rotors in pairs."
I only replaced one, since it was gouged pretty good (wear tabs where on the leading edge, so I didn't get any noise until it was to late). The other one was OK.

Why do they say to only replace Rotors in pairs? What happens if you only replace one?

Chris.

No real idea, but I do replace them in pairs... Most of the time if the rotors are warped then I replace them... If you turn them and get them good and hot again they will warp again...

For the pads I use Wagner Mid grade pads on everything I work on.. If OE is ceramic then it gets ceramic...

On my own cars I have been using Bendix titanium metallic pads and have had very good luck with them... I don'k bendix calls them Titanium Metallic anymore.. These were on my 91, they are on my 95 Van and my 95 Bonneville... I have had them on the Bonneville for almost 5 years... Still a lot of meat left and the brakes show no signs of fade even after 400 miles straight on the interstate... Like stated tho they do dust more then other including ceramics, but stopping performance is great...

On your car I would get a decent set of pads... Bendix or Wagner at the least...

happydog500
02-12-2011, 09:08 PM
No real idea, but I do replace them in pairs...
How come you don't do this on other things? If you have a blow out on one tire, you don't replace a good tire on the other side. If someone hits you on the front fender, you don't tell them you want the other side replaced also? If your front window breaks, you don't go in and get the rear replaced also?
How come you change both rotors if one is bad?
Chris.

Jrs3800
02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
First... They are Brakes... Never ever skimp on brakes...

Lets look at it this way... You replace on rotor with a new one... Thats nice, that rotor will be nice and true with 0 run out... Lets say the other rotor is warped, and a lot of the time this would be the case as it will have some run out and uneven pad wear.. Say you put new pads on both of these rotors... The new rotor is going to brake in with the pads, the other rotor will not break in with the pads and still suffers from run out... Even if you turned the other rotor and its now true again being that it was already warped, the next time you get them good and hot it will warp again where the new rotor will still be true...

If you are going to turn both rotors and reuse, fine.... But if you have to trash one rotor, spend the extra and do them both... They will then be warp free and the pads will bed and wear with the rotor also giving you longer pad life and a car that will stop as intended...

Sorry but I will not tell anyone to skimp on brakes...

ND4SP
02-13-2011, 02:42 AM
My friends are raving about Ceramic Brakes. They say the difference is very noticeable when going from Semi Metallic to Ceramic.

Since I'm on a tight budget, I was wondering what would be the difference between a good pair of Semi Metallic vs. economy pair of Ceramic? At the parts store, they have, 1.Semi Metallic, or 2.Ceramic. I see at rockauto, they have, "Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Semi-Metallic." How can it be both?

What do you think about Ceramic Brake Pads? I like the idea of not as much dust.

Thank you,
Chris.

When I replace my brakes this summer, I will definitely replace them with ceramic. I use the AC delco brand, they work great and do not fade like semi metallic. I have seen improvement in my stopping distance with ceramic. Only problem with ceramic is they need to get a little heated to work properly.

Add your comment to this topic!