Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water pump?

smitty782
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Just bought this 05 GMC envoy and it has a belt noise the belt is new and the tension pully is new. if you squirt the belt with belt dressing it goes away for a moment and comes back can anyone help?

jdmccright
02-08-2011, 02:36 PM
One of the accessories is causing the slip, but squirting the belt won't pinpoint it since the belt eventually winds around all of them.

A better way would be to remove the belt and try to turn each of the accessory pulleys by hand (except the crankshaft, of course) and the idler and tension pulleys. They should all be easy to turn and not make any noise.

smitty782
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks will try this. I just mention the wp cause I read on a review that water pumps where common problems on the 05

jdmccright
02-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Haven't seen anything in here to confirm or dispute that, but typically they will fail by leaking through the shaft seal rather than the bearing itself. Trying to spin it by hand would be the acid test. But to lend credence to this, my neighbor had to change his water pump in his Colorado last year...same part number as the 6-cyl Envoy (you don't mention your engine size).

A new pump will feel some friction and not free spinning yet smooth. A well-worn but still good will spin easier but still feel and sound smooth. But if the bearing is failing, the pump will feel like there is intermittent friction and you might be able to hear it, too, as a scraping sound. Of course, if there is coolant coming from the weep hole then it is bad regardless of the bearings.

Hope this helps!

Scrapper
02-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Just bought this 05 GMC envoy and it has a belt noise the belt is new and the tension pully is new. if you squirt the belt with belt dressing it goes away for a moment and comes back can anyone help?

read your can of belt dressing as your not suppose to use it on serp belts not trieing to be nasty to you.

good luck.........

scrapper.........

smitty782
02-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Sorry its a 4.2 and thanks I will take the belt off and try to locate noise

Add your comment to this topic!