Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What would you do??

civic_1.6_16v
05-25-2003, 11:15 AM
He guys, I have a question for you
Maybe some of you saw my profile that said that I would be getting a EE9 VTEC Civic
Its true, this saturday I can pick it up and I'm verry happy
I never drove a VTEC before, until last wednesday when I took a testdrive
Its really good to feel te VTEC kick in when you get at high in the RPM's

Its black, from august 1991, with only 107000km on the clock
I have some pics here but Í'll put up some new ones next week when I have it :D

But for the question for you guys:
It has its stock 15" rims and I want some new rims, but I'm thinking about 16 or 17"
I want to go for looks and also keep my acceleration speed
So the best choice would be 16"s I guess, but the rims I like dont come in 16" only in 17"
Do you think I would lose alot of 0-100Kmh time when I get 17"s ??

Veetec
05-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes, you will definetly feel the difference in acceleration when using 17". Especially if you drove it with 15" rims before! But IMO 17" rims look too big on Civics/ CRXs anyways...
And remember that handling and brake distance will become worser with 17" rims on a CRX, too.

civic_1.6_16v
05-25-2003, 12:50 PM
So what would the "damage" in time be if you have 16"s
Factory specs are 0-100Kmh in 7.3 secs on 15"s

Is there a formula to calculate that???

And what would the difference be if I would install a VTEC controller
and set it that it would kick in the VTEC sooner?

Goosse
05-25-2003, 12:58 PM
I agree with Veetec. IMO, 17" rims look to big on most civics. Some civic look good with 17" or 18", but this is only when they have a complete kit. So I would say 16" rims. And as for acceleration, I don't think you will feel much difference between a 15" and a 16". Just get some nice rims you will like and don't worry to much about acceleration. Atleast you will be faster then 75% of the cars on the road:D

civic_1.6_16v
05-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Goosse
Atleast you will be faster then 75% of the cars on the road:D

I second that motion :D :D

I wanted to get some CTR wheels, from the latest CTR
So I went to the H dealer yesterday to get some prices for them

250 € for 1 wheel in 16", so that times 4 and then add some good tires
Thats a little over my budget
That just to much for some 16" wheels, but they sure look good

http://www.folieseal.nl/Patrick/ctr.jpg

O BTW, this is a pic of the actual car I'm gonna get :D

Goosse
05-25-2003, 02:38 PM
Nice car. How are you going to put the CTR wheels on your hatch? Doesn't the CTR hava a 5 lug and the normal civics a 4 lug?

civic_1.6_16v
05-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Goosse
Nice car. How are you going to put the CTR wheels on your hatch? Doesn't the CTR hava a 5 lug and the normal civics a 4 lug?

Yes, you are right about that, but those wheels come in a 4 lug also
But if you order them at the Honda dealer they wil only come in 16" and not the original 17"
And you will not have a red H in the center cap

heres a pic of them in a 4 lug config

http://www.folieseal.nl/Patrick/ajh.jpg

cyberrexer
06-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Congrats man! BTW the red 4 spoke with white tires look graet! :D

The reason you loose acceleration is not necessarily down to wheel size, the concept comes from presumptions that bigger wheels will automatically weigh more than the smaller wheel. For example if you find some light weight 17s that weigh less than the standard 15’s you will not be making your car slower.

If you want larger wheels for looks and don’t want to compromise performance than get some fairly light wheels.

AccordCE8
06-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by cyberrexer
Congrats man! BTW the red 4 spoke with white tires look graet! :D

The reason you loose acceleration is not necessarily down to wheel size, the concept comes from presumptions that bigger wheels will automatically weigh more than the smaller wheel. For example if you find some light weight 17s that weigh less than the standard 15’s you will not be making your car slower.

If you want larger wheels for looks and don’t want to compromise performance than get some fairly light wheels.

sorry but what you say is totally wrong, it's not only dependent on wheigth of the wheels...it's about the polar moment of inertia of the wheels...the larger the diameter...the bigger the 'needed force' to rotate the wheels... and the radius is much more important than the weight... I don't have the time to calculate it right now... but I can calculate the difference (sorry civic 16i 16v... didn't thought before about what i learned in my study, but then you only know the percentage difference in needed force... the relation to acceleration is some more difficult)

cyberrexer
06-06-2003, 04:47 AM
But isn’t that why you have low profile tyres to keep the overall rolling radius the same?

Goosse
06-06-2003, 11:25 AM
But isn’t that why you have low profile tyres to keep the overall rolling radius the same?

I think what AccordCE8 is trying to say, is that the weight of a bigger rim is more to the outside of the rim. This way, when you accelerate, the engine would have to produce more momentum to overcome the still motion (don't know the term for this in english:(). So even if you use a lightweight 17" rim, you will be slower then with a equal weight 15" rim with the same external (tyre+rim) diameter.

Veetec
06-06-2003, 11:26 AM
But isn’t that why you have low profile tyres to keep the overall rolling radius the same? That´s true in some way....But even when using low profile tyres on 17" wheels the overall diameter will be a bit bigger than with the stock set-up. (Please don´t ask me why! :D )

civic_1.6_16v
06-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Does any of you guys knows whats the average weight of a 15 16 and 17 inch rim??
In general how much do they weigh??
If I know that then you can also look for weights of rims and then make a light choice of rims

Veetec
06-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by civic_1.6_16v
Does any of you guys knows whats the average weight of a 15 16 and 17 inch rim??
In general how much do they weigh??
If I know that then you can also look for weights of rims and then make a light choice of rims Have a look here: www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html and here: www.wheelweights.net/

Add your comment to this topic!