Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Monte Carlo wont start, sluggish cranking

nosaj7
02-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I have a 1995 Monte Carlo that won't start. It tries to turn but it sounds real sluggish then nothing happens after 6 revolutions while holding the key at start. I thought it was the battery but I've kept the battery on a charger the last couple of days and even had it tested at a auto parts store with a load tester (small hand held device with coils that heat up). They said it was charged to 100%. One known issue with the car is a bad noisy squealy AC compressor. The AC is off and I pulled the fuse that allows the clutch to be engaged. Can this keep my car from turning? It has gas, the alternator is working, and the starter may be at fault but it doesn't make the clicking noise a defective starter would make plus it tries to turn over also. Could the battery still be bad even if it passed the load test? To sum it up, my engine is mimicking a dead battery when it tries to start but the battery is supposedly good. The starter turns then just stops but doesn't make any clicking noise. Also I have to let it sit for 5-10 min before attempting to start it again to get another good 5-6 revolutions. If I try to start it immediately after an unsuccessful attempt nothing happens, I hold the key to the start and nothing happens. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

maxwedge
02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Check the cables first, if the battery passed a true load test then it sounds like the starter, also make sure the pulley on the a/c compressor is not frozen and there is no oil coolant intermix.

Add your comment to this topic!