Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

very hot heater air??

eaglebreath
02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
My 91 accord is putting out very hot air when you turn on the heater, I changed the thermostat, checked fluiid levels.......all good. It never put out hot air like this before. The dash temp guage is reading normal.
I am afraid the engine is getting to hot. The top radiator hose gets very hot.....the bottom hose is barely warm. anyone have any suggestions??

i am hoping and praying its not the pump.......it looks like a hell of a job!!!

Scrapper
02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
My 91 accord is putting out very hot air when you turn on the heater, I changed the thermostat, checked fluiid levels.......all good. It never put out hot air like this before. The dash temp guage is reading normal.
I am afraid the engine is getting to hot. The top radiator hose gets very hot.....the bottom hose is barely warm. anyone have any suggestions??

i am hoping and praying its not the pump.......it looks like a hell of a job!!!

how hot of thermostat did you put in it? if temp guage is running normal you might want to go with another thermostat if to hot for you.

eaglebreath
02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Bought it at napa, i asked for a exact replacement......i don't know what
temp the new stat is, but it still acts like the old stat. Also, i stuck a thermometer in the radiator after running for awhile and it read 200f.
Shouldn't the fans come on .....they didn't come on the whole time i was testing.

BullShifter
02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
200 is fine, you probably just go used to the old tstat..... The fan usually comes on around 220. You need to check the temp near the tstat not the fluid in the rad. It's easily done with an infared thermometer. I usually check them in multiple locations and never them temp of the actual fluid.

eaglebreath
02-07-2011, 07:12 AM
I do have access to an infrared thermometer..........what are normal temps I should see around the engine?

Thanks

BullShifter
02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
You should see 180-210 average temps. The best place to check is at the temp sensor which is located right near the t/stat. Check the temp there and the upper hose inlet to the engine, top of radiator. They should all be pretty close after the car is warmed up(fans cycle once)

Add your comment to this topic!