Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

MAJOR electrical problem

Dcdoc45
02-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Ok, lets start.
2002 Grand Prix SE, auto trans 3100 motor 120k miles
with keyless remotes

At first the blower motor had a bad vibration on any setting over 3. Then it quit all together. At about the same time the key would not come out of the ignition switch. replaced the ignition switch. after I replaced the switch the ding/ding thingy came on without the key in the ignition with the doors open. took it to dealer and asked them to reprogram it. they said they did but it still dings, fine I'll live with it, then the blower motor would run on 5 only with no AC or heat, checked refrigarent, its ok. replaced the switch panel in the console, same thing. took it to mechanic he replaced the blower motor resister. It worked good for about an hour. (still had the ding/ding when door open with no key in it, he said he didn't fix that) now, the blower and ac works only on 5 and only if you slide the pass/driv side temp control switches up and down. when you turn the fan switch on it turns off the daytime driving lights, but you can turn on the headlights and they work. Now, when you start the car the interior lights come on and stay on as long as the car is running. if you turn off the ignition switch the interior lights stay on for about 10min. then go off. I think its the body control module, but there are 3 diff modules on the driver side, a big rectangular one, with a smaller rectangular module beside it. the big rect. one had a sticker with a lot of numbers on it and says GRAY 04 REV D. and another one with a heat sink on it. any suggestions?

olopezm
02-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Hello welcome to the forum dude!

Your symptoms still sound like a bad ignition switch, you replaced the harness or the cylinder itself?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=653340

Best regards,

Oscar.

tblake
02-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Good call Oscar, I was going to ask the same thing.

Was the Ignition cylinder or Ignition switch changed?

olopezm
02-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Good call Oscar, I was going to ask the same thing.

Thanks Tim, I have been learning from some of the bests users in this forum! ;)

Dcdoc45
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I replaced the lock cylinder. I'm not real sure how to replace the ignition switch. any tutorials online? there is a theft deterent system on there too.
Any guidance on this would be appreciated, the Haynes manual I have does not go into this.

Dcdoc45
02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Sorry just saw the link you provided with this info, thanks

richtazz
02-07-2011, 09:37 AM
nice job olopezm, you're becoming quite an asset on AF...keep it up! Many people lately seem to be mistaking the ignition cylinder as the ignition switch, not the same thing. The contacts where the ignition switch plugs into the vehicle harness at the base of the steering column is where the trouble arises. It rarely has anything to do with the ignition cylinder. I guess many people think because the key won't come out, it's the cylinder.

So, just to clarify, on these cars the key doesn't come out because the key release solenoid isn't receiving proper voltage from the wompus switch/harness, not due to a bad/bent cylinder.

olopezm
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry just saw the link you provided with this info, thanks

No problem!, hope you fix it soon.

nice job olopezm, you're becoming quite an asset on AF...keep it up!

Thank you Rich, be sure I'll keep learning and will do my biggest effort to help as much as possible and as far as my knowledge allows me to.

Best regards,

Oscar.

Dcdoc45
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Ordered the part today, be here tomorrow. They sure are proud of that, and it seems like a common problem, might hit the junkyards and sell em on Ebay hehehe.

Dcdoc45
02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I hope ya'll are still following this thread. I replaced the ignition switch. Now all the headlights, the climate control (fan, ac, heat etc.) work great. but....... the interior lights still stay on when the engine is running and all doors shut. also, when I open the driver side door without the key in or the headlight switch on the door ding, ding thing will not go off. if you shut the door the ding, ding thing goes off, but the interior lights do will not for ten minutes. and not at all when going down the road. if you have the driver door shut and open any of the other doors the ding, ding, thing does not ding,ding. could this be a problem with some kind of a switch or sensor in the door. Any suggestions?

olopezm
02-12-2011, 09:43 PM
You should give the door latches a good clean with wd40 and an old tooth brush that's where thw door open switch is located at. Open and close the door until it works as usual. After that use some silicon spray to wash the wd40, provide better lubrication to the latch and keep dust from sticking.

Is the chime the usual key-in alarm or the lights left on sequence?.

Best regards,

Oscar.

Dcdoc45
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure how to tell the difference between those 2.
I hit all the door hinges with Kroil the other day, but this has been happening way before I did that. I'll try the cleaning and see what happens.

olopezm
02-12-2011, 10:43 PM
One should ding faster than the other, in this case the lights on chime.

Cleaning the hinges wont help with your problem, you want to clean the latches at the other end of the door. Do it for each door your car has.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa172/blackarrow98gp/showGifdo-1.png
Thanks to the original uploader of the image.

Regards,

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!