3000gt's/Stealth very own off topic thread: v 5

Pages : [1] 2

Stealthee
02-05-2011, 04:51 PM
In a little more than 24 hours the Pittsburgh Steelers will commence a destruction of the Green Bay Packers.

Even though the last OT thread was a little dead it was time to close it and start a new one. Maybe we can get action going in here again.

Blackcrow64
02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Amen!!! Can't wait for this game!!!

TorchedStealth
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Woot im #3! lol

Game starts soon

VR43000GT
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
In a little more than 24 hours the Pittsburgh Steelers will commence a destruction of the Green Bay Packers.

:lol:

Nope.

Blackcrow64
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Dangit. :(

VR43000GT
02-09-2011, 12:35 AM
awesome! Go pack go!

ftfy.

;)

Dreamspawn
02-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Stealthee got PWND.. lol on a other note i have bronchitis pretty sure atleast going to doc tomm after a week of this junk...

jason_bet
02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Wow Been a while. what up ya'll?

TorchedStealth
02-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Yo Jason! Hows the business going?

Stealthee
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, the Stealth is officially off the road. I blew transmission number 5 last week. I just picked up a 07 Grand Prix GT tonight. Its 260hp and 260tq and loaded with everything but nav. I'll have to post up pics as soon as I get a chance to snap some.

Dreamspawn
03-03-2011, 03:56 AM
D*mn stealthee sorry to hear that, on that news got some new parts coming for sti...

AutostradaVR4
03-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Hey guys! long time...figured id come by and see what everyone's latest projects are. I'm in the middle of a 120k on the VR4, as well as 13g swap and a few other odds and ends.

Also in the middle of some major life decisions that i could use some outside opinions on.
I am currently in San Antonio, and like it quite a bit, but it's missing 2 things; a beach (i love saltwater fishing) and family (closest family is about 20 hrs away).
SO, i'l thinking about transfering to Ft. Myers, FL. Awesome fishing, and family in Lauderdale.
Simple choice right? not so much...

Heres where it gets a bit complicated. My facility that i'm at now is AWESOME. Great setup, great coworkers, decent management, big screen, xbox, computers, get LOTS of breaks...really sweet gig. HOWEVER, it's a difficult place to work as far as the job itself is concerned.

Ft.Myers on the other hand...still mostly good people from what i can tell. Management kinda sucks. not as nice of a facility and theyre a bit understaffed, so more time actully working. and no sweet breakroom. Also, there is not as much room for advancement there as there is in San Antonio. BUT, the job is easier. Another bonus of relocating to Ft.Myers is the housing market is amazing. I would be in the position to buy a house in about 6 months if i moved, vs about 2 years if i stay where i'm at.

So basically, If i stayed where i'm at;
+No expense and hassle of moving
-Far away from family
+Better working conditions
-Harder work
+more advancement opportunities, meaning eventually more $$$
-higher housing costs
=no fishing, but still a decent area

and if i more to FL
+fishing, and a beautiful area
+MUCH lower housing costs
-have to go through the hassle and expense of moving
-less nice working conditions
+easier work
-less room for advancement. still decent pay, just not as much as San Antonio
+closer to family; 2 hours vs 20 hours

opinions please! it's been giving me a headache to 3 days now! lol

Dreamspawn
03-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Hey guys! long time...figured id come by and see what everyone's latest projects are. I'm in the middle of a 120k on the VR4, as well as 13g swap and a few other odds and ends.

Also in the middle of some major life decisions that i could use some outside opinions on.
I am currently in San Antonio, and like it quite a bit, but it's missing 2 things; a beach (i love saltwater fishing) and family (closest family is about 20 hrs away).
SO, i'l thinking about transfering to Ft. Myers, FL. Awesome fishing, and family in Lauderdale.
Simple choice right? not so much...

Heres where it gets a bit complicated. My facility that i'm at now is AWESOME. Great setup, great coworkers, decent management, big screen, xbox, computers, get LOTS of breaks...really sweet gig. HOWEVER, it's a difficult place to work as far as the job itself is concerned.

Ft.Myers on the other hand...still mostly good people from what i can tell. Management kinda sucks. not as nice of a facility and theyre a bit understaffed, so more time actully working. and no sweet breakroom. Also, there is not as much room for advancement there as there is in San Antonio. BUT, the job is easier. Another bonus of relocating to Ft.Myers is the housing market is amazing. I would be in the position to buy a house in about 6 months if i moved, vs about 2 years if i stay where i'm at.

So basically, If i stayed where i'm at;
+No expense and hassle of moving
-Far away from family
+Better working conditions
-Harder work
+more advancement opportunities, meaning eventually more $$$
-higher housing costs
=no fishing, but still a decent area

and if i more to FL
+fishing, and a beautiful area
+MUCH lower housing costs
-have to go through the hassle and expense of moving
-less nice working conditions
+easier work
-less room for advancement. still decent pay, just not as much as San Antonio
+closer to family; 2 hours vs 20 hours

opinions please! it's been giving me a headache to 3 days now! lol

cheaper house/less room for advancement would cancel out more expensive and room to go up. Cost of living between 2? check with family about cable,water,gas,electric,etc...

Dreamspawn
04-13-2011, 09:51 PM
1 month and no posts... sad day :'(

Stealthee
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
sad indeed :(

Dreamspawn
04-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Anybody still on AIM? selling my STi trying to get into a NSX>..

Stealthee
05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
OMG HI 2 U.

Where the EFF is everyone?

I'm surprised Alex hasn't posted here yet telling about what heppened to the VR4.

Dreamspawn
05-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Idk.. but we all need to start talking again... espically when u,yogs, and me all are drinking..

TorchedStealth
05-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Whats up guys? Been a while indeed. Just got my car back together last weekend, just put a ported head on but it feels so good to drive it again. I didnt drive it all winter so I hadnt driven it in 5 months lol

What happened to Alex's car??

Dreamspawn
05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Whats up guys? Been a while indeed. Just got my car back together last weekend, just put a ported head on but it feels so good to drive it again. I didnt drive it all winter so I hadnt driven it in 5 months lol

What happened to Alex's car??

I know how you feel its been like 5 months since i drove my STi...

youngvr4
05-17-2011, 05:43 PM
i predict i'm about a year out from buying a 99 vr4 :)

hows everyone?

sLADe781
09-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Wassup guys - plans for Labor Day weekend??

AutostradaVR4
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Working :/
Monday night will be party night lol

sLADe781
09-02-2011, 08:18 PM
^^lol - let's hope you don't go back to work on Tuesday then 'cause that would be rough!! Haha

Stealthee
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I went out drinking last Saturday and was still drunk on Monday. :lol:

I have no real plans for this weekend. Need to fix the exhaust on my Grand Prix and check out my ABS sensor too. Probably gonna try to hang out with my cousin who's in town for the weekend too. Other than that it will be lazy days.

AutostradaVR4
09-04-2011, 07:25 AM
I love lazy days..havn't had one in months. May have to take a weekend off from working on the car before I start my valve stem seal job. Not looking forward to that...

sLADe781
09-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Lazy day? Oh man, those would be nice. My wife is in nursing school now so my life consists of: WORK, OT, GYM, DISHES, COOK DINNER, CLEAN-UP/DISHES, AND BILLS. =\

...lazy days...oh what wonderful days those were...

VR43000GT
09-14-2011, 10:44 PM
OMG HI 2 U.

Where the EFF is everyone?

I'm surprised Alex hasn't posted here yet telling about what heppened to the VR4.

Whoa, where am I? :p

Yeah, it's all jacked up. Hit and runs will do that.

EDIT: Truth be told I think my back is still suffering more from the hit and run than my VR-4 though. :/

Stealthee
09-14-2011, 11:33 PM
We haven't seen this much activity in a year. :p

Dreamspawn
10-04-2011, 05:38 AM
I'm back!!! lets not let this thread die the 3kgt off-topic are epic...

Stealthee
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
It lives

Blackcrow64
10-27-2011, 04:10 PM
It lives

Frankenstein?

AF Mascot
11-04-2011, 02:44 PM
moldy bread?

Stealthee
11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
How sad. It's been over a year since the last post in this thread. :(

The crickets are deafening.

sLADe781
11-28-2012, 08:10 PM
:( A once thriving forum is just...dead... :(

Caribbean GTR
08-31-2013, 02:34 AM
Does anyone still participate in this Forum?

Stealthee
08-31-2013, 10:54 AM
As you can see, participation is down. I'm not too sure where everyone went. I know some are on other forums, but the rest kind of just disappeared.

Caribbean GTR
08-31-2013, 11:34 AM
I guess this is what happens when they stop making a car no matter how good it is. I've always admired the 3000GT VR4 Twin Turbo, but I live in Jamaica and the Dealer only imported a handful of them and the owners hanged onto them. Individuals imported a few more and of course kept them. Two recently came into my Family one of which I purchased for my Son, a 1999 Twin Turbo version (first car). I know I know, I read the thing about this not being advisable but I couldn't pass it up, and since this is the slowest of all the cars in our home he has been accustomed to the power of the GTR Skyline and a fully street modified Evolution 9.5 RSII, plus a host of Turbocharged Corollas including the almighty 4TGTE.

Anyway, the owners of this car must think they are very special and my newly acquired car has only about 20,000 miles on the clock and has been sitting under a tree for 4 years. I've pulled out the engine to do a rebuild as the rings have ceased up but the block is unworn, turbos are in excellent condition. Then I'll repaint it. The interior is great, just needs a good vacuuming and wipe down. I'm getting all my stuff from 3SX but I'm keeping the car bone stock for now. It's all about restoring it to it's original condition.

I hope the owners can help me with any questions I have. I think I can add some value here too because I tune cars and I have a few accomplishments under my belt. I look forward to talking to the proud and experienced owners here. Catch up soon.

Stealthee
08-31-2013, 11:44 AM
3sx is okay, but there are other vendors out there with better pricing.

Check out places like IPS Motorsports, Ninja Performance, Maximal Performance, Ground Zero Performance, and I am sure I am forgetting others.

I have owned my car for 11 years now. Wednesday 8/28 was actually the "anniversary" of its purchase. Owners are definitely enthusiasts. I have been around the forums for over 10 years now and have made a lot of friends along the way.

Caribbean GTR
08-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the information on the other vendors, I shall check them out. If you have any contact information that would be helpful, or I'll just Google them.

One thing I would like to know is, do these cars share the same gearbox as the Turbo Eclipse or the Evolutions? From what I hear, the gearboxes are not too good over about 450 HP. Technically, these engines should be good for 800 HP without any problems based on how easy it is to extract power from other engines. A Supra will generate 700 HP safely on a stock bottom end, and a GTR RB26DETT Skyline will generate about 600 although I've seen 700, but I would never do that with my GTR and risk losing the entire engine just to save $800 for a set of connecting rods. So if you have any information on the Gearbox type and what else it fits I would appreciate it.

Stealthee
08-31-2013, 02:11 PM
The TT transmission is unique to the 3/S platform. It is a Getrag.

The transmissions don't have issues at any horsepower level. The transfer case is usually what people break. There are t-case braces that vendors sell that help with that. There are also aftermarket billet ones out there.

The 6 speed trans has a stronger T-case that can cause bell housing breakage, but there is a bell housing brace fix for that.

Output shaft can break, but there are 300M versions out there too.

There are a lot of stronger parts out there, but I wouldn't really worry about the durability of the trans at 450 hp. Plenty of guys out there pushing 600, 700, 800, and even 1000+ hp now.

Caribbean GTR
08-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Cool, this is good information on the Gearboxes. I doubt we'll ever past 450 - 500 HP on this car because its for road only. Plus, remember that if the car will product 450 HP on 90 Octane, if you add C16 and remap, it will deliver an additional 200 HP and more torque or so, without any adjustment to boost. Just have to make sure the fuel pump is up to the task and that the injectors don't max out. Thats all about tuning.

Stealthee
08-31-2013, 03:20 PM
The great thing about you having a 99 is your ECU is flashable. Only 98 and 99 ECU's are flashable. One of my good friends, known as Monochrome on other forums, is one of the innovators of the flash ECU for the 3/S platform.

There is plenty more information out there too. ;)

Caribbean GTR
08-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Thats also good to know and I will certainly consider this for the stock motor. Although they are more expensive to do, I much prefer standalone programmable. Anything will make HP given a competent tuner, but once you experience a Haltech ECU in the right programmer's hands you never want to use anything else. Even if the two methods produce similar HP and Torque, the aggressiveness of a properly tuned Haltech is beyond belief. Thanks so much for this valuable info on the year and ability.

Igovert500
06-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Just stopping in to say whats up. Believe its been a few years. Probably around te time my first son was born...go figure. VR4's been garaged for far too long in lieu of more practical projects and daily drivers, but it will be return bigger and more badass someday in te future...got 15gs, big FMIC, met injection and all supporting mods to go along just sitting ready to be put in, paired wit dropping a few 100 pounds and new paint, it will be nice wen I finally get time and allocated funds to complete. ope you're all doing well.

Stealthee
06-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Holy crap. There is a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Don't know if you saw it or not but they are having the National Gathering in PA, north of Pittsburgh, in a few weeks.

Igovert500
06-06-2014, 10:01 AM
As much as I'd like to it'd be impossible. I've gotten back to back promotions at work in the past 2-3 months which has got me working crazy hours. My gf and I now have a 2 and a 3 year old who take up the rest of my spare time. The VR4 is in more pieces than I'd care to admit and I couldn't even tell you the last time I worked on it....and our daily driver (4runner) is now acting up and I'm trying to trace down an electrical gremlin which has put it out of commission...so at this point, I can't see it happening.

Does suck though, my cousin bought a house out in Pitt a few years ago and I'd always wanted to come out and meet up...but I only ever got out there once for a day and he just ended up selling it a couple weeks ago and moving to Boston...

Stealthee
06-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I am less than 2 hours from NG and I won't be making it either. :/

sLADe781
06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Hello!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Does anyone still come around here? =(

Stealthee
07-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Nope...

sLADe781
07-23-2014, 09:46 AM
lol - what's going on Stealthee? Long time no talk...how've you been? I think the last time we spoke was probably in 2010 right? I remember my house got broken into and the bastards stole my laptop and ever since then, kinda lost track of everyone here. :confused:

Stealthee
07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I have no idea when the last time we spoke was LOL

There are at least a few old timers from around here that are still around other 3s forums, even though they may not still own a 3s.

Morphius289
07-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Good to see some of you old farts are still around.

sLADe781
07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah seriously, it's like a ghost town over here now. What ever happened to everyone?

How've you been Morphius? Long time no see - haha

Old farts...damn!! lol!!!

Stealthee
02-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Wow the tumbleweeds are everywhere. :(

So sad to see a once thriving subforum so dead nowadays. Many people have moved on from the platform, or to other forums. I was apart of another forum before I even joined here over 10 years ago.

TEN YEARS! Holy crap.

Morphius289
02-13-2015, 03:50 PM
That's a long time. I was just entering high school when I found this forum. Sold the 3000 a long time ago and I've been regretting it ever since. Even managed to find it again but the seller never called me back.

Someday I'll own another one...

Stealthee
02-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Well, for anyone still around and that cares, I have made the decision to finally get my Stealth back to being roadworthy. My goal is to have it done, other than paint, by fall. Only reason I exclude paint is that is probably going to be the biggest cost since I already have most everything else I need.

sLADe781
03-20-2015, 11:05 AM
What's everyone driving nowadays? I still have my GT as my daily driver but I also picked up a 2008 G37S coupe last year as my weekend car.

The G has been a fun car but has given me more headaches than expected at this early stage. Currently, I'm having a spongy clutch pedal that comes and goes and I cannot figure out what the issue is since it gets firm after 30-50 pumps. Not to mention the fluid reservoir doesn't go down so I don't think there's a leak...Stealthee?? lol

Stealthee
03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
What would make you think I have any experience with transmission issues? :p

Have you tried bleeding the slave? If pumping it up gets the pedal back to being firm perhaps you have a air bubble trapped somewhere.

Another possibility, though probably not as likely, is a worn finger on the pressure plate, or even a worn spring on the clutch disc itself.

sLADe781
03-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Yep, when it first happened in February, I bled it and it was good for about 3 weeks and the problem returned again. Since I can't find any leak and the reservoir isn't going down I'm suspecting that it's the master cylinder. I actually tried taking it out over the weekend but OMG, that thing is as tight as a virgin (:nono:). Seriously, no room to work down there. It got so bad I ended up having to put everything back together and will be taking it to a shop to do it cause I could not get it out from the little space that it has. :screwy:

BTW, I still use the gravity bleeding technique you taught me back in 2006 as it's still the best method I found for bleeding clutch systems. Thanks bro!! :iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!