Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 LeSabre starter enable relay circut??

lti
02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
There is a 10 amp fuse in this line. Sometimes it takes it, not all times. Put in new fuse and it starts. Have used 20 and 30s and will now and then take those. Back to the 10 now as called for. The haynes manual shows this circut runs the starter enable relay and onto the passkey module. Have looked for bad wires and so forth. Any ideas?? thanks

Blue Bowtie
02-06-2011, 05:35 AM
The PassKey module only provides the ground for the enable relay through the PRNDL switch. If the wire after the relay coil is shorted that won't take out a fuse. The circuit ahead of and including the relay is what should be checked. Don't overlook the relay itself. A failing operating coil can take a fuse, and flashover deposits from arcing or moisture in the relay housing can be conductive, causing overcurrent.

lti
02-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks Blue Bowtie; Will loacate the relay. Have a Haynes manual best I can tell its up under dash and not in the firewall "relay center". Will replace and start with that. Thanks have some electronics background so can see the relay coil problem. Hope thats it. Thanks

lti
02-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Having trouble locating the relay. The haynes book isnt much help. If its in the relay center on the fire wall can have someone turn key to start and try to locate that way. No makrings I can see about 6 relays. Fuses all marked nice but nothing for the relays. Thanks.

HotZ28
02-07-2011, 12:43 AM
For security reasons, the starter enable relay is hidden deep in the dash and located behind left side of dash, left & above the steering column, & behind IC cluster. It can not be accessed, or even seen from under the dash, so part of the dash & IC cluster must be removed, which makes it a difficult job. The relay will have two yellow wires & two pink wires going to it.

May I suggest, before you go to all that trouble, try replacing the starter solenoid, or at least checking the purple wire & terminal for contact with ground. BTW, this is in the same circuit that the purple wire (which originates at the 10 amp (2E) fuse) then goes through the starter enable relay, then on to the solenoid. As mentioned, the rest of the circuit is only a ground that originates at the PassKey reader, then goes through the P/N switch and finally to the starter enable relay to energize the coil.

Blue Bowtie
02-07-2011, 08:42 PM
According to my diagrams, the 2E fuse only protects the coil side of the relay, and the load (solenoid) side of the relay is fed from the IGN switch and body maxi-fuse. Mine might not be complete, however.

lti
02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanls guys; The fuse that is going out is the one that protects the coil side of the starter enable relay and then goes onto the passcode module.This fuse doesnt go evry time just now and then on some starts. Today talked with the local GM place. There thinking is 2 small wires to pass key in steering colum have given up over years of tilt wheels and so forth and are now causing the problem. So he told me to take and tilt, turn the steering wheel rattle key and just shake the whole colum. Well that worked, now it blows the fuse every time I go to start position on key.So wednesday moring going to cut wires and put resistor in at module at gm place. I can get car started by putting key in run and running wire from battery to starter I guess we could always put a push button in for starter.

HotZ28
02-08-2011, 12:03 AM
There is not 12v going to the "passcode module"; only a ground from the decoder, through the P/N switch, then to the starter enable relay; so therefore, the bypass resistor will not solve the problem. I was going by memory in my original post, so based on the update from Jeff (Blue Bowtie) in post #6, I decided to look at the schematic to refresh my memory. (See below) It appears that you have a problem in the ignition switch circuit, not the key reader, or decoder.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6763/9598buick.png

Add your comment to this topic!