ram 3500 no start

skull1
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
hi i have a 2000 dodge ram 3500 diesel 5.9 have changed the injection pump,lift pump,all fuel lines from the tank to the lift pump and also changed the module in the tank the problem i am having is i can start it up idles fine i let it idle for about 2 hours then decided to take it for a drive that's when the problem starts.can get about 1/2 mile and it just shuts down with no warning at all and will not start back anyone had this problem or a solution thanks

Chris Stewart
02-05-2011, 07:27 AM
The fuel pressure needs to be known.

Fuel pressure test kits are available at most chain type auto parts stores. The gasser kits work fine.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/Image042.jpg

Screw the connector on the fitting of the injector pump on the driver's side of the engine.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/Image046.jpg

Stock spec is 10psi+, most folks look for 15psi.

skull1
02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
hi i have a 2000 dodge ram 3500 diesel 5.9 have changed the injection pump,lift pump,all fuel lines from the tank to the lift pump and also changed the module in the tank the problem i am having is i can start it up idles fine i let it idle for about 2 hours then decided to take it for a drive that's when the problem starts.can get about 1/2 mile and it just shuts down with no warning at all and will not start back anyone had this problem or a solution thanks

ok i have 7 psi fuel pressure and also have fuel to the injectors

Chris Stewart
02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Good, what does the fuel pressure do when the engine dies?
Is the Check Engine light on?
Where is the lift pump?

skull1
02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Good, what does the fuel pressure do when the engine dies?
Is the Check Engine light on?
Where is the lift pump?

well the bad thing is since is has quit running the last time i haven't been able to start it back that was yesterday the check engine light didn't come on what few minutes it ran (just a little note i checked the voltage at the pcm from the apps and it only shows .28 volts with the ignition,on my understanding is it's supposed to be .532 volts. could this be where the problem is ? the lift pump is located on the drivers side just under the fuel filter

skull1
02-06-2011, 12:01 PM
well the bad thing is since is has quit running the last time i haven't been able to start it back that was yesterday the check engine light didn't come on what few minutes it ran (just a little note i checked the voltage at the pcm from the apps and it only shows .28 volts with the ignition,on my understanding is it's supposed to be .532 volts. could this be where the problem is ? the lift pump is located on the drivers side just under the fuel filter

ok i think i found the problem the fuel line coming from out of the tank was sucking air causing it to shut down going to try that fix to see how it does will post back later with an update

skull1
02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
ok i think i found the problem the fuel line coming from out of the tank was sucking air causing it to shut down going to try that fix to see how it does will post back later with an update

ok i took the fuel tank down and found a pin hole in the rubber fuel line needless to say it was a brand new fuel line but that was the problem thanks for all the info Chris.maybe if anyone else runs into this problem it will help them,again thanks. (it's really bad when dodge dealer can't even tell you what is wrong with your vehicle ) NOTE:THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THIS PROBLEM BUT I'M GOING TO ADD THIS LITTLE PIECE OF INFO FOR ANYONE WITH THE PROBLEM,ON MY TRUCK AND OTHERS I'VE WORKED ON IS INSIDE THE TRANNY IS A SOLENOID ON THE PASSENGER SIDE HELD ON WITH 3 OR 4 8MM BOLTS CAN'T REMEMBER EXACTLY BUT THIS LITTLE SOLENOID GETS STOPPED UP AND CAUSES IT NOT TO SHIFT GEARS SO REMOVE AND CLEAN WITH BRAKE/PARTS CLEANER AND YOU ALSO PERIODICALLY ADJUST THE BANDS IN IT TOO

Chris Stewart
02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Good work Skull !
Glad you got it worked out.

Regarding the trans. solenoid, see if you can find it on this free factory service manual dowload, repost the trick with the transmission model code (47RE/48RE) then we'll ask the moderator here to make it a sticky for quick reference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42304/2001DodgeRam.pdf

skull1
02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Good work Skull !
Glad you got it worked out.

Regarding the trans. solenoid, see if you can find it on this free factory service manual dowload, repost the trick with the transmission model code (47RE/48RE) then we'll ask the moderator here to make it a sticky for quick reference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42304/2001DodgeRam.pdf

page 1967 / 21-332 fig.#5 shows the solenoid location .the 44re,46re,& 47re all have this solenoid.page 1967 /21-365 fig.#66 shows the solenoid and the screen that gets clogged(SOLENOID ON THE PASSENGER SIDE INSIDE THE PAN) THIS LITTLE SOLENOID GETS STOPPED UP AND CAUSES IT NOT TO SHIFT GEARS SO REMOVE AND CLEAN WITH BRAKE/PARTS CLEANER AND REINSTALL

Add your comment to this topic!