Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2006 Corolla - 2 flat tires in 2 weeks

duder172
02-04-2011, 12:13 AM
2 weeks ago, one of my back tires suddenly went flat or popped and got torn up on the highway. I started to notice a louder than usual constant noise a few days before the first flat tire. After I replaced the tire, the noise continued when going 60mph+ and the car shook a lot at high speeds. Then today, the other back side tire went flat/popped as well. I got home with a spare.

Both were bought used, with probably 60-70% treads on still. Is it just crappy tires? Or is something wrong? Someone mentioned possibly bad wheel bearings?
This is my 3rd set of tires, 3 are the same brand, the one that just popped was different (a firestone), the one that popped 2 weeks ago was the same brand as the other 3. I forgot what the brand was.

It's a 2006 Toyota Corolla LE. All air in tire was at 31 PSI, as the sticker inside the door says. Mileage is 86,000...

It's front wheel drive. And the car doesn't make any *unusual* constant noises and does not shake at lower speeds, usually shakes a bit around 57+ and a lot around 65+. If that helps.

roadrunner2
02-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Mixing tires: brand/size/tread design/used, etc is not always wise.

Most of the time used tires have been replaced for any number of reasons. Probably due to faults such as separations (which normally cannot be detected visually without technical assistance).

Perhaps there is a material fault with the rims. (Bent or cracked?)

jdmccright
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
If it was a wheel bearing, then you'd definitely hear it growling back there and the car may even pull to that side. If it was a stuck brake, you'd feel it pulling as well and sluggish acceleration.

If it was a damaged rim, I would hope that the mech that replaced the first tire would have inspected it.

My guess is that something is contacting the inside tire wall and heating it up. Look at the inside wall and see if it has a shiny look to it. If so, that is where it is rubbing against something as it spins.

Hope this helps!

lexus1717
02-09-2011, 05:34 AM
i guess there is some problem when fixing the wheel.Or just remeber that did you gone any where recently where the road is not good and full of sharp rocks.Just think a while and if not just try to change the service center and fix it again.

Add your comment to this topic!