Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor problem?

bass_caster
02-03-2011, 12:35 AM
2000 4x4 nbs tahoe manual heat/ac controls for temp and fan speeeds

recently i noticed that when i set the fan speed on 1 or 2 there is no air movement. it seems the blower motor is not functioning. when i turn it up to 3-4-5 then it works but they all seem a bit slower then in the part. most of the time i would have the blower set to 1 or 2. i dont know if the problem is with the blower motor (my thought was if its a motor problem it wouldnt work at all whether low speed ot high speed) the other possibilty was the actual speed selector/dial on the dash. is it possible that the switch could be "worn out" at the 2 slower speeds since thats what i usually run? any thoughts?

thanks

roadrunner2
02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
When there are problems with the blower motor fan speeds the fault is with a tired blower motor resistor block.

Usually attached to the blower housing.

j cAT
02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
2000 4x4 nbs tahoe manual heat/ac controls for temp and fan speeeds

recently i noticed that when i set the fan speed on 1 or 2 there is no air movement. it seems the blower motor is not functioning. when i turn it up to 3-4-5 then it works but they all seem a bit slower then in the part. most of the time i would have the blower set to 1 or 2. i dont know if the problem is with the blower motor (my thought was if its a motor problem it wouldnt work at all whether low speed ot high speed) the other possibilty was the actual speed selector/dial on the dash. is it possible that the switch could be "worn out" at the 2 slower speeds since thats what i usually run? any thoughts?

thanks

under the glove box is a cover remove this and you will see wires going to the blower motor and the resistor/relay module. also you should have 2 air filters that are about 1/2inthick X 6in X 3in..these must be replaced[inthis area] , and then replace the 25.oo resistor assy that connects to the blower motor..soon you will only have high speed blower operation ..with new AIR FILTERS you will get more flow..with the filters dirty the resistor get hot...

bass_caster
02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
under the glove box is a cover remove this and you will see wires going to the blower motor and the resistor/relay module. also you should have 2 air filters that are about 1/2inthick X 6in X 3in..these must be replaced[inthis area] , and then replace the 25.oo resistor assy that connects to the blower motor..soon you will only have high speed blower operation ..with new AIR FILTERS you will get more flow..with the filters dirty the resistor get hot...

thanks guys, i'll have to take a look under there. i looked up the in cabin air filter once to get the model number so i could order replacements and it said n/a so i figured my model year didnt have the in cabin air filters so i never changed them. that means they have 220,000 miles of crud on them, which would explain alot.

j cAT
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
thanks guys, i'll have to take a look under there. i looked up the in cabin air filter once to get the model number so i could order replacements and it said n/a so i figured my model year didnt have the in cabin air filters so i never changed them. that means they have 220,000 miles of crud on them, which would explain alot.

I got my filters at advance auto..15.oo ....2 pieces.

bass_caster
02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
thanks guys, your advice was the ticket!!! i bought the new resistor and filters and replaced them this afternoon. the old filters were disgusting and full of debris. i'm suprized any air got through at all. the new resitor looked a bit different, atleast the part that got installed inside the air duct. the 2 plugs were the same so i installed it and everything worked as it should. i now have all speeds working 1-5. thanks again for the tips guys!!

rich

j cAT
02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
thanks guys, your advice was the ticket!!! i bought the new resistor and filters and replaced them this afternoon. the old filters were disgusting and full of debris. i'm suprized any air got through at all. the new resitor looked a bit different, atleast the part that got installed inside the air duct. the 2 plugs were the same so i installed it and everything worked as it should. i now have all speeds working 1-5. thanks again for the tips guys!!

rich

every 2 years filters need replacing/cleaning ..depends on how many trees are near the parking area.

the new resistor module I got looks very solid compared to the GM version.

Add your comment to this topic!