Page updated on 12-16-2017

88 Caprice-lots of questions

sdcaprice
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey I have a 88 caprice made in oct of 87.
Ive got some questions

1988 Chevrolet Caprice
Couple of Questions
Radio Problem My Caprice has a power antenna that does not work. Does this affect the radio from working?
- The radio, shows the clock while the car is running.
--It will not turn on at all even when i plug in the power antenna, fuse looks ok but i'll look at it again
Do i just need to replace the antenna and.or new radio?
Definately new antenna, is there anywhere i can get a stock radio new?
I want to put a CD player in it, crutchfield has a perfect thing for it to fit naturally but no wood grain to match the rest of the interior,any suggestions?

Also ,
Turn signal switch, The headlights are stuck on bright, do i need to replace the lever or the switch inside the steering wheel.?
And when its on bright only the two bright lights come on (center lights)
if they are not working how do u switch them out?

and

when i turn the blinkers on the front corner lights dont light up?
It could be the bulb, how do u get those out? i felt a couple of screws on the bottom but am not sure..but the bottom front blinkers work as well as
the rear ones.

more
My caprice has idleing problems
See i just bought this car, just replaced the air filter, i will replace the fuel filter one of these days, I hear sometimes they have vaccum leaks,
-Senario-
--- Starts up great , its a 305 with 110k on it or so. In park it runs great.
On somedays this car will when takin out of park and put into any gear, will bog down and cough and die its not a fast process, but it will just die.
This car is pretty quiet the way it is. Does this have a catalyitic converter? I will have that replaced if thats the problem.

ALSO last one.

Rear Defrost.
I think it shuts off on its own, or does not do the job its supposed to.
It works but then when it does it will kill the power seats and locks.
I messed around where the fuses are and i get it to work again but maybe they are totally unrealated, but not sure.

Also what type of transmission do i have? its a 4 speed and i have the 305 engine,

Thanks for all your help anyone and everyone.
Ive got pictures if its possible to post.
No personal emails please thanks

j cAT
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
with your questions , sounds like you have no idea how a motor vehicle is serviced. I would not keep this vehicle if you do not have this ability/ too expensive to have others keep it running. also uses lots of fuel.

the antenna in the front fender internally rusts out. this also will efffect reception. replace with a antenna [walmart] costs about 10-20.oo...not electric but manual up/down..made with connector to hook up to the radio .

idling problems are usually the vacuum lines and also the vacuum operated controls on the engine.replace pcv ,,,,,and the hoses if cracked/hard .

if you have a 4 speed automatic it should be the 700R4. you can look up the drain pan design and this is the way we quickly determine the tranny.

the rear defrost uses lots of current. most likely you have a bad connector connection to the feed of this circuit or it may be a corroded thermal fuse called a fuse link .

you lighting may be the lamps and/or the controlling lever switch.

using a screw driver / or locating the rear side of the lamp housing rotate the socket to remove the lamps. these lamps have a silicone grease on the base to prevent connection failure.

1988 not sure on if the lamp lens unscrew on the front lamps ..

silicon212
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey I have a 88 caprice made in oct of 87.
Ive got some questions

1988 Chevrolet Caprice
Couple of Questions
Radio Problem My Caprice has a power antenna that does not work. Does this affect the radio from working?
- The radio, shows the clock while the car is running.
--It will not turn on at all even when i plug in the power antenna, fuse looks ok but i'll look at it again
Do i just need to replace the antenna and.or new radio?
Definately new antenna, is there anywhere i can get a stock radio new?
I want to put a CD player in it, crutchfield has a perfect thing for it to fit naturally but no wood grain to match the rest of the interior,any suggestions?

The antenna on these tend to fail about 10-15 years on. I have a 1988 Olds 98 Regency with the same problem. It should not affect the radio, other than reception of distant stations. Check the fuses under the dash to see if the fuse for the radio is blown - although since you get a clock, that's likely not the problem. The radio itself might be tango-uniform.

Also ,
Turn signal switch, The headlights are stuck on bright, do i need to replace the lever or the switch inside the steering wheel.?
And when its on bright only the two bright lights come on (center lights)
if they are not working how do u switch them out?

and

when i turn the blinkers on the front corner lights dont light up?
It could be the bulb, how do u get those out? i felt a couple of screws on the bottom but am not sure..but the bottom front blinkers work as well as
the rear ones.

The dimmer switch is likely the culprit here. This has failed a couple of times over the years on my own 1988 Caprice. It's mounted on the top of the steering column, under the dash, to the left of and slightly behind the ignition switch. Like the ignition switch, it is operated by a rod which attaches to the lever in the steering column. The front corner lights are separate bulbs from the turn signal lights, and will not affect operation of the turn signals should they fail. They're #194 bulbs, which you can get at any auto parts store. Use a T15 Torx driver to remove the screws on the bottom of each corner lamp, pull the assembly out and the bulb is in a twist socket.

Your observation of the headlights in high-beam is of proper operation - in high beam only the inside lights will light up.

more
My caprice has idleing problems
See i just bought this car, just replaced the air filter, i will replace the fuel filter one of these days, I hear sometimes they have vaccum leaks,
-Senario-
--- Starts up great , its a 305 with 110k on it or so. In park it runs great.
On somedays this car will when takin out of park and put into any gear, will bog down and cough and die its not a fast process, but it will just die.
This car is pretty quiet the way it is. Does this have a catalyitic converter? I will have that replaced if thats the problem.

Symptoms of a catalytic converter failure are a smell of sulphur when driving, decent idle and off-idle performance, weak cruising performance, almost no high-end performance and overheating. If these are your symptoms, a cat replacement will be in order. You can confirm this with a vacuum gauge on the engine - if there's a restriction in the exhaust, you will initially see medium to normal vacuum at idle, and it will drop down, and stay down. Your problems are also likely to be in the carburetor though - a rebuild of this might be in order for you. The fuel filter is inside the fuel inlet at the carb. Of course, it never hurts to replace all of the vacuum line, especially if it's original.

ALSO last one.

Rear Defrost.
I think it shuts off on its own, or does not do the job its supposed to.
It works but then when it does it will kill the power seats and locks.
I messed around where the fuses are and i get it to work again but maybe they are totally unrealated, but not sure.

Check the wiring of the car. Sounds like something might be shorting if using the defog takes out other electrical appliances in the vehicle. A Haynes book is decent for its electric diagrams in the back.

Also what type of transmission do i have? its a 4 speed and i have the 305 engine,

If it's a Brougham, it will have a TH700R4/4L60. If it's not, then it will likely have a TH2004R. Look at the pan. If the pan is rectangular in shape, it's the 4L60 (700R4). If it is long, with a second, smaller sump in the back, it's a TH2004R.

Thanks for all your help anyone and everyone.
Ive got pictures if its possible to post.
No personal emails please thanks

No problem, we're here to help (when we can). Don't let others discourage you from figuring out how your car works, we all start somewhere. Isn't that right, j cAT? Oh, btw. As an aside, it doesn't use "alot of fuel". My own car is the police version with the 350 engine and it gets on average between 14 and 22MPG depending on how I drive it. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Also, not bad for a 3600 pound V8 powered land yacht.

sdcaprice
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
with your questions , sounds like you have no idea how a motor vehicle is serviced. I would not keep this vehicle if you do not have this ability/ too expensive to have others keep it running. also uses lots of fuel.

the antenna in the front fender internally rusts out. this also will efffect reception. replace with a antenna [walmart] costs about 10-20.oo...not electric but manual up/down..made with connector to hook up to the radio .

idling problems are usually the vacuum lines and also the vacuum operated controls on the engine.replace pcv ,,,,,and the hoses if cracked/hard .

if you have a 4 speed automatic it should be the 700R4. you can look up the drain pan design and this is the way we quickly determine the tranny.

the rear defrost uses lots of current. most likely you have a bad connector connection to the feed of this circuit or it may be a corroded thermal fuse called a fuse link .

you lighting may be the lamps and/or the controlling lever switch.

using a screw driver / or locating the rear side of the lamp housing rotate the socket to remove the lamps. these lamps have a silicone grease on the base to prevent connection failure.

1988 not sure on if the lamp lens unscrew on the front lamps ..

---with my questions sounds like i have never owned a caprice before! this is the first one ive owned, and its different from the rest of the cars.
I know how to service a vehicle, change the oil etc. It is winter here, i havent had time or ability to examine this thing perfectly. These get great gas milage as well.

sdcaprice
02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
The antenna on these tend to fail about 10-15 years on. I have a 1988 Olds 98 Regency with the same problem. It should not affect the radio, other than reception of distant stations. Check the fuses under the dash to see if the fuse for the radio is blown - although since you get a clock, that's likely not the problem. The radio itself might be tango-uniform.

The dimmer switch is likely the culprit here. This has failed a couple of times over the years on my own 1988 Caprice. It's mounted on the top of the steering column, under the dash, to the left of and slightly behind the ignition switch. Like the ignition switch, it is operated by a rod which attaches to the lever in the steering column. The front corner lights are separate bulbs from the turn signal lights, and will not affect operation of the turn signals should they fail. They're #194 bulbs, which you can get at any auto parts store. Use a T15 Torx driver to remove the screws on the bottom of each corner lamp, pull the assembly out and the bulb is in a twist socket.

Your observation of the headlights in high-beam is of proper operation - in high beam only the inside lights will light up.

Symptoms of a catalytic converter failure are a smell of sulphur when driving, decent idle and off-idle performance, weak cruising performance, almost no high-end performance and overheating. If these are your symptoms, a cat replacement will be in order. You can confirm this with a vacuum gauge on the engine - if there's a restriction in the exhaust, you will initially see medium to normal vacuum at idle, and it will drop down, and stay down. Your problems are also likely to be in the carburetor though - a rebuild of this might be in order for you. The fuel filter is inside the fuel inlet at the carb. Of course, it never hurts to replace all of the vacuum line, especially if it's original.

Check the wiring of the car. Sounds like something might be shorting if using the defog takes out other electrical appliances in the vehicle. A Haynes book is decent for its electric diagrams in the back.

If it's a Brougham, it will have a TH700R4/4L60. If it's not, then it will likely have a TH2004R. Look at the pan. If the pan is rectangular in shape, it's the 4L60 (700R4). If it is long, with a second, smaller sump in the back, it's a TH2004R.

No problem, we're here to help (when we can). Don't let others discourage you from figuring out how your car works, we all start somewhere. Isn't that right, j cAT? Oh, btw. As an aside, it doesn't use "alot of fuel". My own car is the police version with the 350 engine and it gets on average between 14 and 22MPG depending on how I drive it. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Also, not bad for a 3600 pound V8 powered land yacht.

Thanks again for your help,
I have a 86 celebrity and have done alot of work with and its painted up and what not.
The head lights are the square ones separate from each other unlike the caprice.
But when i have my lights on bright all of them come on.
Is that a feature change when the caprice got the sealed lights?
I'd personally rather have all of them come one but if thats the way it is, thats fine with me.

silicon212
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks again for your help,
I have a 86 celebrity and have done alot of work with and its painted up and what not.
The head lights are the square ones separate from each other unlike the caprice.
But when i have my lights on bright all of them come on.
Is that a feature change when the caprice got the sealed lights?
I'd personally rather have all of them come one but if thats the way it is, thats fine with me.

Yes, that's the way the composite lamps are set up. The low beam bulbs have only one filament unlike the older sealed beam lamps, so they go out when the lights are put into high beam. These cars use 9006 halogen lamps for the low beam and 9005 halogens for the high beams.

Add your comment to this topic!