Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission issues

Gert
01-31-2011, 08:11 PM
I have been reading this site on the Intrigue hard shifting issues, but I just want to clarify something. My car is the same as the others on this site as it only hard shifts in the summer after about 30 min and it's hot outside. This winter, it only did the hard shifting once. So is the hard shifting any doing damage to the tranny? Is it damaged already? Will the tranny eventually die and I will need to replace it because of the hard shifting? Approx. how much will this cost? I'd appreciate any feedback, because I might just sell it. It's a '01 Intrigue with 167,000 km's on it.

Mike

remark123
02-01-2011, 06:23 AM
MY guess would be that you are living on borrowed time. I believe that the transmissions in Intrigues are the biggest piece of crap that Hydra-Matic ever built, but then, I am admittedly biased. I replaced transmissions 4 times in my 355K miles on mine before I threw a rod and scrapped the car. My 0.02 cents worth.

Mark

Jimmy Olsen
02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I have been reading this site on the Intrigue hard shifting issues, but I just want to clarify something. My car is the same as the others on this site as it only hard shifts in the summer after about 30 min and it's hot outside. This winter, it only did the hard shifting once. So is the hard shifting any doing damage to the tranny? Is it damaged already? Will the tranny eventually die and I will need to replace it because of the hard shifting? Approx. how much will this cost? I'd appreciate any feedback, because I might just sell it. It's a '01 Intrigue with 167,000 km's on it.

Mike

Are you using synthetic tranny fluid? Up north like you it would make a huge difference.

Jimmy Olsen
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
MY guess would be that you are living on borrowed time. I believe that the transmissions in Intrigues are the biggest piece of crap that Hydra-Matic ever built, but then, I am admittedly biased. I replaced transmissions 4 times in my 355K miles on mine before I threw a rod and scrapped the car. My 0.02 cents worth.

Mark

Mark, probably it's the way you drive. Taking off in first gear and then shifting with the pedal to the floor will wear out the tranny fairly quickly. Of course, that's great for the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!