97 chevy silverado knocks when cold cranking

titus1.1
01-30-2011, 01:20 PM
my 1997 k1500 silerado with a 5.7 fuel injection knocks when you crank it up after sitting for 24 hrs or more will then disappear after about 2 min or more. Does not knock after this through out the day. What could this be related to?

jrecken
01-30-2011, 01:52 PM
sounds like you may have a lifter leaking down, it quiets down once oil pressure builds up.

titus1.1
01-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Is there anything that can be done short of a total rebuild?

jrecken
02-01-2011, 12:12 AM
If that's the problem just replace the lifter, pretty easy job. If I remember correctly just remove the rocker and push rod and pull the lifter out. It may require a special tool or a strong magnet.

snshddog
02-01-2011, 07:03 AM
You will need the intake off to get them and might as well get the set of lifters rather than just 1 and always a good idea to put new valve seals in while you are that far into it anyways.

MT-2500
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
my 1997 k1500 silerado with a 5.7 fuel injection knocks when you crank it up after sitting for 24 hrs or more will then disappear after about 2 min or more. Does not knock after this through out the day. What could this be related to?

Before throwing parts at it do some proper testing.
Lifter noise will be a lighter noise in top of engine.
Piston or rod or main bearing noise will be deeper stronger noise in lower part of engine.

Check oil pressure with a manual gauge on cold start.
Post back readings.
A lot of them had cold start piston slap that is from GM design of short piston skirts.

If piston slap on cold start I would just drive it untill engine wears out

What kind of oil filter and oil are you using?

titus1.1
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
It sounds to me like it's coming from the top on the left side of the engine. I have notice a slight drop in my oil pressure lately. Normally it will run at 40 psi but lately after heat up it will run more in the 35 to 37 range. I 've always change the oil every 3000 miles and I've always use either Castrol of Valveline 10W x30 oil, never synthetic, with a fram oil filter( high mileage ) after the first 100k. I haven't did the manual oil pressure check yet so I will get back to you on that. Thanks for the input everyone

MT-2500
02-01-2011, 03:29 PM
It sounds to me like it's coming from the top on the left side of the engine. I have notice a slight drop in my oil pressure lately. Normally it will run at 40 psi but lately after heat up it will run more in the 35 to 37 range. I 've always change the oil every 3000 miles and I've always use either Castrol of Valveline 10W x30 oil, never synthetic, with a fram oil filter( high mileage ) after the first 100k. I haven't did the manual oil pressure check yet so I will get back to you on that. Thanks for the input everyone

Pitch the Fram in trash can and get a good AC or WIX oil filter.
If noise continues after a good filter pull left valve cover and watch and feel rocker arms and push rods for noise and slack and movement.
And make sure rocker arm has not come lose.
Let us know how it goes.

titus1.1
02-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks again for the come back I'll be checking these items over the next day or so and I'll be getting back with everyone.

MT-2500
02-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks again for the come back I'll be checking these items over the next day or so and I'll be getting back with everyone.

You are welcome and check the oil pressure on cold start with a manual test gauge.
Let us know how it goes.

j cAT
02-01-2011, 04:57 PM

if this knock sounds like one cylinder I would also check the plugs on that driverside and look for excess carbon or very white plug. injector leaking , head gasket coolant , etc..

lifter is ticking !

titus1.1
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
OK : here's the results of my analysis of the knocking engine. Wed. afternoon changed the oil and filter. Put in 5 quarts of 10W30 Castrol GT high mileage and an AC Delco oil filter. Got up Thur mourning to go to work ( it was 68) knocking was noticable but much quieter. After work (8hr.) I crank the engine and almost no knocking and it quiets down within 2 to 4 seconds. Next mourning get up, crank engine and NO KNOCKING AT ALL. Engine is as quiet as ever. I never would have though just changing the oil and getting rid of the Fram oil filter would have made such a difference (only had 2000 miles on this filter and oil change). Thanks to everyone for their input and especially to MT-2500 for the simple advice of checking the filter. That will be the last Fram filter that goes on this truck.

MT-2500
02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
OK : here's the results of my analysis of the knocking engine. Wed. afternoon changed the oil and filter. Put in 5 quarts of 10W30 Castrol GT high mileage and an AC Delco oil filter. Got up Thur mourning to go to work ( it was 68) knocking was noticable but much quieter. After work (8hr.) I crank the engine and almost no knocking and it quiets down within 2 to 4 seconds. Next mourning get up, crank engine and NO KNOCKING AT ALL. Engine is as quiet as ever. I never would have though just changing the oil and getting rid of the Fram oil filter would have made such a difference (only had 2000 miles on this filter and oil change). Thanks to everyone for their input and especially to MT-2500 for the simple advice of checking the filter. That will be the last Fram filter that goes on this truck.

You are welcome.
Glad to help.
And 10-4 on the fram filters.
I have run into bad fram filter problems for 50 years.:rofl:
First time 50 years ago the owner and my freind of the best and only afftermarket parts place bought a new cadalic.
He had oil pressure problems and knocking after changing oil with a fram filter.
Poor guy was sick and fit to be tied.
But luck was with him for he tried a AC -delco filter and all of his problems were fixed.

Moral of the story pitch them fram filters in the trash can.:rofl:

And not only fram filters but any fram clutches in the fram transmission kits.
One time when I was rebuilding a lot of 350 chev transmissions.
I lost over 25 transmission rebuilds from using fram clutch plates.

The linning fell off of the clutch plates when transmission was first drove.

And Fram was all heart in making the good.
They offered me a box of 100 same junk clutch plates at no charge.
I just told them what they could do with there junk.

But also I always make it a point to tell other people about fram to.
It may not still be up on the net but the Klise family done a oil filter study and posted it on the net several years back.
Run a google search and see if it is still there.
And yes Fram was at the bottom of the list.

Also Ac Delco done some farming out on a few filters and had a few weak filter deals.
But hope they have got all of there problems fixed.

I Have found that WIX makes one of the best filters on the market.

Glad your knock noise is gone.
Good Luck

j cAT
02-05-2011, 12:35 PM

I have cut open these fram oil filters. very sloppy fabrication..wix and pure one purolator has the better filtration and a solid filter media..

your very lucky !

Add your comment to this topic!