Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing the upper-left motor mount?

saber85
01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a 1994 Eclipse GS 2.0 non-turbo. In order for me to have put on the upper-left-side driver motor mount on the car, with the new polyurethane insert, I had to squeeze in the mount back into position on the car's frame since the insert was real fat. There was no room for play with the bracket connected to the 2 permanent engine bolts. Well, only 3 out of 4 bolts (2 of the bolts were the ones that are permanently attached) were able to line up from the engine to the bracket holes. Well the 3rd bolt took a little movement of the engine, for it to go in. However, the farthest right threaded hole on the engine, where the bolt screws in, wasn't lined up with the bracket's hole. So I wasn't able to put in the last bolt. I tried moving the engine around in all directions, to line up the hole with the bracket's hole, but the new bushing wouldn't give the engine--when moved left and right--and bracket much play. Jacking the engine up more, made the holes misaligned even more. So I only have 3 bolts tightened down now. For now, you think it's fine driving around with the upper-left motor mount having only 3 out of 4 main bolts on the bracket installed? Also, you think a pro mechanic can get the holes to line up better and make the darn thing work, for a cheap price? I did the best I could. I would hate to have to buy a whole new motor mount bracket or something.The last hole is only like 1 or 2 mm off from lining up enough with the bracket's hole, for the bolt to be worked in (it was 4 mm off till me and my friend man handled the engine). I almost got the bolt on, but then I stripped the top 3 threads in the hole trying, since the threaded hole was angled to much from the bracket's hole.Seriously, the holes are almost lined up, but that's as close as I could get it. Also right now, the engine doesn't seem to pull away when I accelerate, or vibrate wildly (the cabin vibrates a little more), so the mount seems fine... but what do i know?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give

david-b
02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
The cabin will vibrate more with the mounts just because the rubber is not a harder material. By default that's like that.

When I originally did a head swap on my 420a, I only had 3 of the 4 bolts holding the passenger side mount on. There's specific ways you have to tighten the bolts along with raising/lowering the motor to be able to get them all in. Ran the car perfectly for like 2-3 years with just the 3 with no problem. A shop will be able to get it done, but no idea on costs. Shouldn't be too bad.

saber85
02-01-2011, 02:00 PM
So it seems I should have thought out installing the 4 bolts more. I was careful on installing them to line up the holes, but I was not careful enough to try different specific orders of installation. That sounds like it could have made a big difference. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!