Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Air vent actuator motor wont stop.

01-29-2011, 12:35 AM
1998 Suburban air vent actuator that controls whether the air blows out of the defrost vents, the a/c vents or the heater vents, oscillates just under the radio and wont stop moving. Any ideas whats wrong and how to replace the bad part? How can I stop it untill i can fix it (ie fuse, pull a wire)? Thanks Dave

MT-2500
01-29-2011, 07:07 AM
1998 Suburban air vent actuator that controls whether the air blows out of the defrost vents, the a/c vents or the heater vents, oscillates just under the radio and wont stop moving. Any ideas whats wrong and how to replace the bad part? How can I stop it untill i can fix it (ie fuse, pull a wire)? Thanks Dave

Regular or automatic Heater controls?

The temp actuator is the one center of dash or behind raido.

Does it run back and forth or just move to one spot and then move when the tempt is changed?

The vent/MODE actuator is over on left side by gas pedal linkage.

What is not working on your system.
The tempt control or Mode/vent settings controls?

Got heat but just heat or cold out one vent?

01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
MT-2500 Thanks for the reply. I dont know if it is a regular or auto system. The movment is coming from the box just under (or behind) the glove box. The valve/motor is moving all the time (flaper valve i think). It moves all the time no matter how you set the temper or air flow (ie floor uper vents or defrost). It moves with the engine off and the key on. Does not move with key in acc. Again i just want to stop the motor from running all the time untill i get what ever part are needed. Thanks Dave

777stickman
01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Dave: You should be able to pull the glove box out and then pull the electrical connector from the motor. As you described it this would be the temp control motor. Just look for a small house with the roof peak on the bottom.

Then we gotta try and figure out why it's doing that.

01-30-2011, 12:52 AM
777 thanks, I pulled the A/C fuse and that killed it for now. Any ideas what would make the motor move non stop back and forth? I was in SFO the other day and though about you and how you are doing. Well I see. Dave

777stickman
01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
My 1st thought would be the controller. Need to pull the dash face plate off. Screws at the bottom and then pull it off around the top & sides. Maybe try a salvage yard 1st.

Check your Private Messages......Steve

Add your comment to this topic!