Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Geo Metro 1995 Radiator Pissing Out Coolant

mr.Hand
01-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi All,

Hope you are making it through the winter ok. Can't wait for spring, so much easier to work on cars then.

My car is a 1995 geo metro with around 220,000 miles.

I pulled into work the other day to find my radiator was pissing out coolant all over the place from two tiny holes.

The antifreeze was contacting the hot engine block and creating what was steam or smoke or something.

I fear I need to replace the radiator now, or use one of the stop leak products. Someone is selling what looks like a used radiator on ebay for 50.00 plus shipping.

Are they hard to swap out? I should probably do this now while the temps are colder out before the hotter weather gets here in Maryland.

My engine temp gauge is staying very steady in the center for now.

I added coolant to the system because the overflow tank was very low. The next day is when the radiator took a piss. So I have a leak. The radiator itself is the original, and some of the metal shrouds on the left side are bulging out.

Looking inside the radiator with the cap off I saw full coolant level.

Thanks for all your help! I know it has been a while, but I have been blessed with a hard working Metro I love to death.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Geoff

Metro Mighty Mouse
01-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Repairs don't get much easier than swapping out a radiator.

Woodie83
01-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Do not use any stop leak, you will be replacing clogged up parts one by one for the next two years. Do not fear that you may need to replace it, you do, and now. Don't drive the car without keeping a VERY close eye on the temperature and refilling it often. Putting water in the overflow tank will most likely not get water into the system, it relies on vacuum to suck the water in and you can't create vacuum if there is a leak.

I myself would never use a used radiator, but you can do as you please.

RossT
01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I have purchased 3 radiators from radiator express online. Been very happy with them, and they have a lifetime warranty. They are oem quality, not the real cheap ones that some online places sell.

Add your comment to this topic!