Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 GMC Sonoma Will Not Start Without Starting Fluid

aserapiglia
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma 4.3L V6. The engine will not start without starting fluid. I hooked up a fuel pressure regulator and it only reads 40lbs. of pressure. The manual says it should be 53-60lbs. When i get it started with starting fluid, while driving, ot bogs down if i floor it or press the gas pedal down too quickly. Is my problem the fuel pump? Thank you for your help.

danielsatur
01-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Doe's the Fuel pump turn on?
Check fuel pump fuse/relay
Check fuel filter

aserapiglia
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes, the fuel pump turns on. i've replaced the starter, battery, fuel filter, and the fuel pump relay is good also. thank you for replying.

danielsatur
01-27-2011, 10:40 PM
There might be a clogged screen in the fuel tank.
I wonder, if you disconnect the fuel filter, and put some Air pressure through the fuel line to blow the screen out.

aserapiglia
01-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I'll try that. That makes sense because I only have 40lbs. of pressure. Thanks and I'll let you know....

brcidd
01-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds like the fuel pump...I keep a high pressure external "fuel pump in can" that I can plumb into FP pressure test port on vehicle- to test for start when pressure is right. If vehicle starts, then I drive it to work area and install new fuel pump- Fuel filter clogged is always a possibility, but in the 20 or 30 fuel pumps I have changed in the last 10 years or so, the fuel filter was never the root cause of no start....just my 2 cents...

That FP will cost about what you got into parts so far- too bad you changed things before testing..

danielsatur
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Caution- If using air pressure to blow out the fuel line, make sure you take the gas cap off.

I wonder if it's worth while to make an access panel in the bed of truck for the electric fuel pump.

aserapiglia
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Thank you for all the help. I needed a new battery anyway so that was o.k. The fuel pump that is in the truck now is about 2-2 1/2 yrs. old. I just want to know if that is the problem for sure and not the injectors. And I also thought about making an access panel but I'm trying to figure out how to make it air tight? I would have to find a junk yard that would allow me to cut a piece of the truck bed off that is a bit bigger, then maybe use screws and silicone? And then use a fireproof blanket between the bed and tank to make the cut? Can anyone say for sure if it is, in fact, the fuel pump? Like I said, with my fuel pressure regulator attached I'm reading only 40lbs. of pressure and the manual says it needs at least 60lbs. to start....

danielsatur
01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
You can always put some nice oak planks in the bed!
Try doing another fuel pressure test, if you got a new battery.

aserapiglia
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I did the fuel pressure check.....it is at 40lbs and has to have at least 58lbs to start...

brcidd
01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Why cut a hole? There are only 8 15mm bolts holding that bed down- I use my engine puller hoist and a thick rope and lift the bed up two feet, and sit on the tire and change the fuel pump- much easier than dropping tank, and you need not worry about tank fuel level- and not cutting a hole.

No hoist? 4 people can lift the bed off...got any friends?

If you tip the front of bed up higher than the rear, you don't need to unplug electrical connectors either......

Add your comment to this topic!