Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

105k maintenance

Festivus
01-27-2011, 02:20 PM
2004 Accord V6

So in all reality, do I really need to do more than plugs, timing belt and water pump? I already did my own plugs.

Got a $950 dealer quote for all kinds of belts (timing, ac, alt, ps), valve cover gasket, coolant.

A private shop quoted me $1300.:eek7:

Dealer quote for timing belt and water pump alone was $589.

Scrapper
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
2004 Accord V6

So in all reality, do I really need to do more than plugs, timing belt and water pump? I already did my own plugs.

Got a $950 dealer quote for all kinds of belts (timing, ac, alt, ps), valve cover gasket, coolant.

A private shop quoted me $1300.:eek7:

Dealer quote for timing belt and water pump alone was $589.

if you haven't changed belts since you owned it you do need to change belts. reason why they want to change water pump is that the water pump is behind the timing belt witch turns your water pump. so in otherwords if you just change timing belt and pump go's out you'll have to tear it back down. also need change gas filter,air filter.

jeffcoslacker
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
If not too expensive, replace the tensioner for the timing belt at the same time, sucks to have a good new belt get mauled when a tensioner falls apart...

Autotech3910
01-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Timing belts on hondas NEED to be replaced every 90,000 to 120,000 miles depending on how hard you drive the vehicle!
This is what I would quote a customer at the Honda dealer for a timing belt job on a 2004 accord V6

Timing belt (obviously)
Water pump
Power steering belt( unless it looked pretty new)
A/C / alternator belt (this is one belt)
Coolant (since your replacing the water pump you have to drain the old coolant)

On accord V6 you do not have to remove the valve covers. I do not know why they would quote that for a timing belt job unless they are leaking, then that would be a separate issue.
Also, usually the T.belt tensioner is always leaking(this is a hydraulic tensioner) so in that case it would have to be replaced also.
Then there are times when you remove the T.belt covers and find there are seals leaking that can only be replaced when the T.belt is removed. These seals would include camshaft seals, front main seal, and I believe the oil pump seal.
Yes it will cost a little more to replace these, but it is well worth it because if they go bad later on you are looking at basically doing this same job over again. Since in order to replace them the T.belt must be removed.

Just keep in mind, while YES this is a very expensive repair,
it only needs to be done every 90 to 120 thousand miles! If your timing belt does break which it WILL eventually, it will leave you stranded where ever you are and be even more to fix it then. Since you will have to have your vehicle towed to a repair shop!
Hope this helps

Festivus
01-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes, thanks for the help. No leaking going on that I know of so I'll get a quote for only what you mention.

Add your comment to this topic!