Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 sunfire--stuck in Park

fishingirl
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone,
1000 mi ago (yes, I just got it) I bought a 98 vert and I LOVE IT!!! However it started making a small (clunking?) sound like behind the dash earlier today and now it will not shift out of Park. 2.4L automatic. I've had no prob's with the transmission shifting when driving. It's been smooth. The low engine coolant light came on a couple days ago and I put in dexcool. Was going to check the tran fluid just to be on the safe side but the idiots that designed it decided that doesn't need to be done from above the car. go figure. I hope someone can give me some advise soon. This is my daily driver and I have places to go and people to see. :smooch:
Thanks in advance for all help.

danielsatur
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Is this car parked on a Hill without the emergency brake being on?
Doe's it feel like a linkage problem in the shifter?

fishingirl
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi Daniel,
No, it's not on a hill, it's level. I don't know what it would feel like if it was a linkage prob. It's just like, stuck. I push the button in on the shifter and nothing. The emerg. was up but you know, I put it down b4 I tried to put it in drive. Someone said something about their being a button or something that may need to be reset? I hope it's that simple. LOL

danielsatur
01-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi-
With the engine on, try to shift in drive, while someone trys rocking your car!

fishingirl
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Just tried that. No go.

danielsatur
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
It sounds like a linkage problem!
Is the shifter on the floor, or steering column?
If on the steering column, that could of been the clunking noise behind the dash.
If the shifter is on the floor, you probably need to jack up car for fix.

fishingirl
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
The shifter is on the floor. I guess I'll get it jacked up tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you guys know what it ends up being.

danielsatur
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Suspect the Transmission linkage cable or plastic being broken, or loose.

If made of plastic, I would consider new, because plastic will go bad with age.

fishingirl
01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Wanted to let everyone know that my mech. came by this a.m. and fixed the prob. Somehow the shifter had been lifted up a little which was the reason it wouldn't shift out of Park. He just pounded on it lightly with his fist and now it shifts fine. Thank God it was something simple. So far Iv'e had the oil changed, new rotors and brake pads and new tires put on. Next week I'm getting a tune up because my gas mileage sucks. I get about 250 mi. per tank. I'm also going to get the transmission serviced. The manual says you really don't need the tranny serviced but w/156k on it I think I'd feel better knowing it has been. Can anyone think of anything else that may need to be done to keep it in good running condition?

danielsatur
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
1) Try to dig for some service records, just in case the transmission was already done.
2) Make sure they include plugs, new wires, Air filter, fuel filter, upstream H02 sensor, and clean MAF.IACT sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner during tune up.You or a friend could probably do this job cheap.
3) Because of Age, get your battery and alternator load tested for free at any local Auto parts.
4) Call around for a back pressure catalytic converter test, it might be free.

Other fluids like brake fluid, coolant, and power steering should be flushed and change in time.

I bet you can't wait to take her to the beach!

fishingirl
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info. Daniel,
So, what is a MAF.IACT sensor & CRC MAF cleaner?
Oh yeah, can't wait for spring. Just had the top down Sunday when it was what, 70 deg? My best friend just bought a 2004 seabring convertible. We'll be doing a convoy!!! LOL

danielsatur
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
A Massive Air Flow (MAF) ,and Incoming Air Contol Temp (IACT) is used by the Power control unit (PCU) for a metering device. It signals the PCU on how much air is being used.The IACT is the Incoming control Temp signal,that's sent to the PCU.
When the engine is cold, air is flowing through Air filter, MAF, IACT, air duct work and into the Intake. The PCU will determind the air flow, and temp so it can send a longer fuel pulse. It's like a choking effect when the engine is cold.
The MAF/IACT is located after the air filter + box.
Do a google ''Youtube Auto MAF sensor cleaning''

fishingirl
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I checked the video out, thanks. Well, just got the call back from a mechanic w/the price to do the tune up etc. Quoted me $270. That's the tune up, changing the upstream h20 sensor and servicing the transmission with me supplying all parts and fluids. Does not include the MAF.IACT sensor either. Does that seem a little high to anyone? How hard would it be to have someone else do it if I bought the Haynes manual? Think I would need to buy special tools or anything?

danielsatur
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
It's not a tune up unless he includes Air filter, fuel filter, clean MAF/IACT sensor, upstream HO2 sensor, new plugs + wires.

How many miles are on this Sunbird?

fishingirl
02-03-2011, 05:05 PM
157 & change

danielsatur
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Buy your new parts @ http://www.autopartswarehouse.com , or Ebay to save money.

You got AF & Youtube for guidance!

Add your comment to this topic!