Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Will not start

93DOD150
01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I have a 93 dodge d-150 when i turn the key it will not make a sound, the starter is good, the relay has been replaced. I can hear the fuel pump kickin. i am lost, does anyone have any ideas?

mikefaster
01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Sounds like an ignition switch or neutral safety switch...

When you turn the key to the "crank" position, I assume you have no power on the little wire at the starter, right? And if you jump the starter with the key "on", then it runs???

If you go to the relay, I believe the yellow wire comes from the ignition switch; and if I'm not mistaken that yellow wire gets grounded when you crank the key... Try grounding that wire and see if it cranks over (if all else fails, I may be wrong and it needs to have power at the yellow wire; then try that instead-depends how the relay is set up; I'm not there, LOL-- if popping spark is heard & seen and you get momentarily blinded by the light, then do the opposite, LOL)... If it cranks, then the ignition switch on the column is usually bad...

If it doesn't crank, then you may need a neutral safety switch... See if the harness popped off the tranny... Or replace that $6 switch... Also, see if your reverse lights work when you put it in reverse (with the key "on")...

Hope that helps...

Add your comment to this topic!