Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

anyone used/heard of QCertified

711rpm
01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
hey all,

i'm in the market for a new (used) car and have been talking to friends about safe options (i've been lemoned before and don't need it to happpen again...)

a friend referred me to this used car site, said he had a great experience and loves his car but i haven't been able to find many reports online. looks like they may be new, does anybody have experience with this site or other sites like it? i like the idea of certified pre-owned, clean titles and ASE inspections, just want to see if anybody has anything to offer before i pull the trigger.

thanks in advance

ron

Oldengineer
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Certified pre-owned cars with a factory backed warranty can be a good deal. However, I've seen cars on the market, claiming to be "certified", but, in reality, had some sort of aftermarket warranty. I wouldn't buy one of these. I was recently shopping for a replacement for one of our cars. I looked at the certified cars the dealer had, and, decided that a new one was the best deal. Reason - much better interest rate available, factory incentives, and longer warranty period. By the time I paid a higher APR and extended the certified warranty enough to cover me for the years I wanted, the CPO car wasn't such a hot deal. For whatever car you're shopping for, you'll have to run the numbers on the CPO car vs. a new one, and, make an informed decision.

Regards:
Oldengineer
2011 Mercedes GLK 350 4matic
2010 Honda CRV LX
1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan

711rpm
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Certified pre-owned cars with a factory backed warranty can be a good deal. However, I've seen cars on the market, claiming to be "certified", but, in reality, had some sort of aftermarket warranty. I wouldn't buy one of these. I was recently shopping for a replacement for one of our cars. I looked at the certified cars the dealer had, and, decided that a new one was the best deal. Reason - much better interest rate available, factory incentives, and longer warranty period. By the time I paid a higher APR and extended the certified warranty enough to cover me for the years I wanted, the CPO car wasn't such a hot deal. For whatever car you're shopping for, you'll have to run the numbers on the CPO car vs. a new one, and, make an informed decision.

Regards:
Oldengineer
2011 Mercedes GLK 350 4matic
2010 Honda CRV LX
1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedaninteresting. so, if I look into this, I should verify that the certification is performed by certified technicians and not just an embellished warranty, right? the warranties offered on new cars are very impressive but the nicer CPO car i could get for the price tempts me.

Oldengineer
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Guess I wasn't real clear - The CPO warranty should be factory backed - actually a Ford, GM, Honda, etc. extended factory warranty. Typically a true CPO late model car, with its factory backed extended warranty, will sell for up to a couple thousand more that one that's not a true CPO car. Look up the factory website for the brand of car you're considering and it will indicate the details of their CPO warranty. In addition, usually there's a search engine that'll show you all the CPO cars that your area dealers have in stock. As an example, I just traded off a CPO Jaguar. Over the several years I owned it, it needed about $3500 worth of repairs. Because of the Jaguar CPO warranty, the factory covered everything - I had no out of pocket expense, and, no hassle from the dealer. Yes, CPO cars undergo a detailed inspection by dealer certified mechanics, and, any deficiencies are supposed to be corrected. In addition, CPO cars must typically have a clean carfax, or, they're not eligible to be sold as CPO cars.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Add your comment to this topic!