Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blown engine due to oil pan change!

Garyk10
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
My girlfriend took her Honda Odyssey Van for routine oil change. The dealer maintenance shop informed her that the heli coil repair plug on oil pan could not be used again and she needed a new oil pan. She allowed them to replace pan and change oil at a cost of $370. She drove out of dealership and after approx 35 min. of driving the engine oil light came on and then the motor started to make noise. Van was taken back to repair shop and after they checked it out they stated that a piece of the old plug had been sucked into the oil pump and the engine was shot. Please give me any info on how they messed this repair up. They said it was not their problem

snshddog
01-22-2011, 06:16 AM
For now we will assume they are telling you the truth and it isn't that they forgot to tighten the drain plug that is installed loose in the pan when it comes out of the box. The mechanic had the pan off and didn't clean the pick up screen when he was there? There was a large enough and sharp enough piece on it to cut through the metal screen designed to stop pieces from doing that? And all this convienetly right after doing a pan?

yosemutysam
01-22-2011, 06:33 AM
A dealership for repair is not always a persons first option. The reason you may go to a dealer for oil changes and repair is because you believe they are thorough. They presented your friend with the fact they would do a quality repair which she felt would include any necessary, complete processes and payed good money to do it. If this vehicle had a lot of miles on it i would see if the dealership would meet you half way on a new motor. If this vehicle was under 125,000 miles i would expect they would bare the responsibility of an installed used motor. They also have insurance for this situation. Be reasonable but be firm. This is only my opinion and I was not present when this took place, but I think they have responsibility here.

Garyk10
01-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. They have not been cooperative at all. There main concern was getting the rental they gave for one day back to the dealership. What I would want is to get the van back the way it was driven in and that was a good running van. If it is a rebuilt fine as long as she has no problems with it. She should get reimbursed for the botched oil pan change and a loaner for the time they have the van. That is fair. We will sue if they want us to. Thanks again. I feel like they are going to fight this thing.

snshddog
01-22-2011, 08:43 AM
You will probably have to pay an independant shop to verify the dammage and the probable cause of it to sue. Not sure what is available there but here in ontario most problems like that can be settled with the better business bureau or omvic. I am sure there is similar organizations there for peaceful resolution.

Garyk10
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Have filed a complaint with better business bureau and created a file with Honda NA customer service. From what i have been told the zone rep is the person who will make a decision on this. Still feel uneasy. Small claims court would handle legal action. Hope it doesn't have to go to that. This vehicle had no issues when she took it in for an oil change.

Garyk10
01-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for reply. Well just had meeting with zone rep and he is basically collecting a check. Would not get involved. The service manager stated that it is not in there job procedures to check the screen on the sump. The piece that he presented was the butterfly from the heli coil that he stated blocked the oil flow to the oil pump. Again he stated that they don't have to check screen. My girlfriend is devastated. She still owes for van. Contacted Honda NA and they are passing it on to regional manager. Don't expect much. Waitin for lawyer to call and filed complaint with Attorney General. and NYS DMV. I will not accept their answer. Why would'nt you check that screen. Anyone else that reads this post tell me why you don't check that screen.

BullShifter
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Anyone else that reads this post tell me why you don't check that screen.

Laziness, takes more time, stupid....

snshddog
01-25-2011, 06:16 AM
If it goes that far don't forget to have your lawyer check out who did it. That info will be on the work order and possibly your copy of the recipt. Make sure it was actually a mechanic that did it and not just the oil change boy. I still find it overly convienent that it went so soon after the pan replacement.
Any time I have a pan off for any reason I always look at the screen. As for the helicoil end, in an area this important I grab it with pliers and break it off to pull it out. The trend of incompitance in the trade drives me nuts. It is stories like this that make us all look bad but remember there are many good ones.

Garyk10
01-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Believe me if it weren't for guys like you I couldn't start the battle. New info. Her receipt for the oil change prior to the oil pan placement shows that they swapped out the heli coil with a Honda Accord 14mm oil plug and washer. They let that piece from heli coil stay in pan and next oil change told her she needed a new oil pan. Why use a plug for a Honda Accord on a Honda Odyssey Van and also not fish out broken piece that caused all the problems. Again we have receipt showing this.

Add your comment to this topic!