Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Broken Timing Chain

lazer2463
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Just a little information on the Cobalt 2.2 Ecotec. The Cobalt has 46k on it and no mods, just stock. Normally it runs and starts like a champ.

I went to the store last night and when I came out I had a hard time starting it. The SES light came on and it ran a little rough with a slight ticking noise. Made it home and thought I would disconnect the battery and clear the codes from the computer. Started it up again and the ticking got a little louder, then the SES light came on again.

I thought it might be a simple sensor issue so I brought it up to the local parts store to run a code check on it. It ran fairly good to the first parts store, but when I got there they didn't have anyone available to check the codes. There was another parts store across the street, so i started it up and it started ticking louder than I've ever heard a car tick before. Made it across the street and shut it off. They ran a check on it and it threw codes p0016 and p0326. p0016 is cam and crank timing not aligned and p0326 was the anti knock sensor. They couldn't help me so I went out to reluctantly start the car and it wouldn't start, only turn over.

Called a tow truck to haul it to my house for the night. The next morning I phoned the local Chevy dealer to get it in for service. Described what had happened, so they knew where to begin.

Just got a call from the dealer. The timing chain had broken and took alot of the motor with it. Said it will be very costly to repair. Lucky mine was still covered by the 5yr./100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I don't know the extent of the damage yet, but I will post when I find out.

So if yours starts ticking louder than usual, beware the timing chain my be ready to let loose.

lazer2463
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Just an update.

The timing chain, guides, and sprockets, also both cams, all of the rockers, all of the pistons and the head trashed. Basically the only things left were the block and the connecting rods that were ok.

Add your comment to this topic!