1985 E150 dual tank wiring

IM2HI2CU
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I have searched around trying to find a wiring diagram for the fuel delivery system. I have a 1985 Ford E150 with dual gas tanks. I have a Chilton Ford Pick-Up and Bronco 1976-1986 but the wiring diagram for the 1985 F150 does not match the color wires for the plug at the fuel tank switch.

I have a replacement switch that was produced by Ford (Motorcraft switch E6UB-9A050-AB) and the wire connector plug (Ford D9AB-14489-JD) to be spliced into the existing wire harness coming out from the center of the dashboard.

OK, here is my problem. The stock wiring connector has 5 wires going into the stock switch. The stock switch also has offset terminals so it will only go on one way.

My replacement switch has 6 symmetrical terminals. The replacement wire connector has 4 wires coming out of the back of the connector switch to be spliced into the existing wiring and two of the wires double back to other terminals for a total of 6.

The stock color wires are:

green/red
black/orange
red/yellow
orange
green

The replacement color wires:

black
red/yellow
red/tan
brown/orange

Autozone lists a switch for my year that have 6 screw connections (SW48) but I wouldn’t know how to wire that switch to my stock wiring, or what terminals doubled-back to another terminal.

Urgh!!!! I hope that I explained my problem with enough information. Thanks guys.

IM2HI2CU
01-23-2011, 01:07 AM
I just got it hooked up and i can hear the solenoid switching, the gauge goes from way below E when the ignition is off, to right on E when the ignition is on. When I switch tanks there is hardly movement in the needle and hovers around E, if not moving at all.

I new that both tanks were almost empty, I will get some gas tomorrow.

IM2HI2CU
02-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I grounded both gages and both peg full.

Went to RS and got a switch DPDT 10A 6-pole toggle switch with center off position (#275-1533). Everything works! The additional perk is to have the central off position to turn both fuel supplies off. Oh, and it cost $4.27 including tax.

Just wanted to follow up on the post

Add your comment to this topic!