Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

EGR flow problem

jstevens30
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Code of EGR Flow problem. Something to fix right away for $350 or can I wait a couple of months?

BullShifter
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
What year & engine size? Usually no, the passages get clogged. Needs EGR passage cleaning/update(depending on engine) and a new EGR valve.

jstevens30
01-18-2011, 07:18 AM
1998 Honda Accord, V-6 3.0 engine.

BullShifter
01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Yep, the V6 needs the upper intake removed and the port cleaned/drilled along with an updated sleeve installed. The EGR valve gets replaced as well. Honda sells it as a kit with all parts and gaskets needed. You will need to purchase the special drill bit if you choose to do it yourself. It's fairly easy with basic hand tools.

jstevens30
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I had the EGR valve replaced and I seemed to get better gas mileage. Maybe my imagination? Well the check engine light came on about a week after having the EGR valve replaced. Went to auto place and used the machine to check what the code is and it's a lack of flow to the EGR valve. Code was reset and three days later Check engine light came on again and the code was the same. I reset the code today. Not sure what all this means? Please advise. Thank you.

danielsatur
02-09-2011, 03:19 PM
9 out 10 times the EGR valve is still good, it's the EGR gas passages, that needs tobe clean 1st.

Save $350, do it yourself with some AF guidance.

I would leave the EGR on, and take the throttle body off for a good cleaning.

BullShifter
02-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Yep, the V6 needs the upper intake removed and the port cleaned/drilled along with an updated sleeve installed. The EGR valve gets replaced as well. Honda sells it as a kit with all parts and gaskets needed. You will need to purchase the special drill bit if you choose to do it yourself. It's fairly easy with basic hand tools.

Here is the answer

Autotech3910
02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Bullshifter is right! If you have an EGR insufficient flow code stored, the upper intake will have to be removed to clean the passages, and get the pipe kit from Honda. Honda has a service bulletin out for this problem! I probably did a hundred of these when I was a Honda Tech.

jstevens30
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
My mechanic and I removed the throttle body and cleaned it spotless. The throttle body was shiny like a brand new one. We cleaned on Saturday and by Monday afternoon, the Check Engine light came back on. Anything else to try? Maybe clean the Upper intake and then this should take care of the problem? Please advise.

BullShifter
03-08-2011, 11:15 PM
:banghead: It's not the throttle body! I've posted fix already! Please read^:uhoh:

Add your comment to this topic!