Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 eclipse no start click only wont jump please help

jamieallen2007
01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I have a 94 eclipse 4 cly... 1.8 lt a few weeks ago tried starting when turned key nothing not even a click after 5 or 6 trys would finally start one night came home parked went to start next morning click only cchecked battery terminels bought new ones even now click only wont start even with a jump just click click female so please respond with as many photos and details possible help help my work comute car

david-b
01-16-2011, 09:09 AM
I have a 94 eclipse 4 cly... 1.8 lt a few weeks ago tried starting when turned key nothing not even a click after 5 or 6 trys would finally start one night came home parked went to start next morning click only cchecked battery terminels bought new ones even now click only wont start even with a jump just click click female so please respond with as many photos and details possible help help my work comute car

Hi there. For future posts, please try to use some punctuation as it will make it a little easier for us to understand your post a little better.

To clearify, when turning the key, there is basically just a clicking sound coming from the engine bay? But it will randomly start, doesnt matter if it's jumped or not?

If that's right, it sounds like a very similar problem to what I had for awhile that took some time to figure it out. On the starter, there is wire going from the solenoid to the actual starter. It's a thick 'ground' wire. Basically sends power to the starter to turn it. What happened on mine was that the big wire came loose and wasn't making a good connection. I would get random clicks, which was the power flowing through the wire, sparking on the starter, but not getting enough power most of the times to provide enough to turn it.

The starter on the 1.8 is on the back of the engine block, closer to the passenger side right by the transmission. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it from the top, so you may have to go under the car. The big wire I'm talking about is short, but you can't miss it going from the small cylinder to the larger starter. I would wait til it's dark, then have someone try cranking the car and see if there are any sparks coming from the starter. If there's sparks, I would replace the starter. It is fixable, but I was never able to get it to work the same again.

Here is a pic of the wire to look for. It's the big black guy going from the top to the bottom. On your car, it may not have a black covering, and just be a bare wire.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/214484922/Car_Starter_Lester_No_17775_.jpg

If that's not the issue, where is the clicking coming from?

Hope this works out. Please get back to us and well continue on with another process.

Blackcrow64
01-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm with David on this one. Sounds like a starter issue to me...

Add your comment to this topic!