'97 sqeaky belt, but not the belt

KaIIen
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
On my '97, it has a very annoying squeek. If you watch the belt as it moves, the sound is in sync with the belt (So like, when the white printing on the back of the belt is at the highest area of the belts travel, it squeeks, so it seems to be in the same place). That usually indicates it's the belt.
However, I have replaced the belt 4 times in the last 2 months. The current belt was a little extra, and it coated with teflon which is supposed to grip better. Each time I change it, it runs quiet for about 1 week, maybe 2. This leads me to believe that it has to be one of the pullys. To that end, I know it is not the alternator, or the tensioner. I took off the idler pully and oiled it. I DID notice that when spun it in my hand it had a slight wobble. Any thoughts?

luckymanz
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
The tensioner bearing should not wobble. I would replace this as they are not expensive.

KaIIen
01-16-2011, 12:21 AM
The tensioner bearing should not wobble. I would replace this as they are not expensive.

Not the tensioner pulley but the idler pully. The one in the top middle, smooth surface that the back side (smooth side) of the belt contacts.

brcidd
01-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I spray a little water on either side of belt as it is running- squeak usually goes away for 10-15 seconds if it is the belt--it will persist if it is a pulley on a component. Most likely it is your belt-- or an alignment issue- I often meerly rotate the belt (take it off and put it back on so the belt travels the opposite direction) and the noise will go away for a few thousand miles. Just my thoughts.

Scrapper
01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I spray a little water on either side of belt as it is running- squeak usually goes away for 10-15 seconds if it is the belt--it will persist if it is a pulley on a component. Most likely it is your belt-- or an alignment issue- I often meerly rotate the belt (take it off and put it back on so the belt travels the opposite direction) and the noise will go away for a few thousand miles. Just my thoughts.

have you took belt off and checked the tensioner see if you got a bunch of play in all other pully's also. i would say tensioner if it wabbles?

KaIIen
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
But 5 different belts in so short a time? I even tried a belt that was slightly smaller so it's be tighter and the squeak came back. I have tried spraying on belt conditioner.

Scrapper
01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
But 5 different belts in so short a time? I even tried a belt that was slightly smaller so it's be tighter and the squeak came back. I have tried spraying on belt conditioner.

look on the can your not suppose to put any kind of belt dressing i know you can stand that squeak but it has to be the tensioner or one those pullys. guy tryed putting serp belt and hes next door to me this was on a gmc and the spring broke inside the pully next to the tensioner he went up town here at a car parts and dealer got both for 25 that means the load pulley and tensioner had it back on in 10 mins. also i noticed he had a split in pulley.

KaIIen
01-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Replaced the tensioner today. Squeak persists. It's definitely the belt that is making the noise. Best guess at this point is one of the pulleys is binding slightly. Moving the steering wheel has no effect on the noise, and from what I have garnered that almost always rules out power steering pump. Alternator has been replaced as well so it's not that pulley.

Add your comment to this topic!