Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Porsche 962 Le Mans 1986 and 1987

Tim Lucas
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Following on from other recent threads here -

If I want to make models of the Porsche 962 Le Mans winners of 1986 and 1987 what are my best options with regard to available kits. I have the MFH superdetailed kit but also want to make "closed versions". So which kits would be most accurate for a curbside representation?

Thanks

Tim

ScaleCentral
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Following on from other recent threads here -

If I want to make models of the Porsche 962 Le Mans winners of 1986 and 1987 what are my best options with regard to available kits. I have the MFH superdetailed kit but also want to make "closed versions". So which kits would be most accurate for a curbside representation?

Thanks

Tim

The best kit for that is to get the 962 Rothmans transkit from Studio27. I'm not sure if it is still available, but it will do the 1986 version. It's not completely accurate for the 1987. Other than that, you might be able to get away with putting a Tamiya 956 tail on the 962 and then opening the rear wheel openings a bit and making them round. You would also have to fix both doors. There are resin replacements out there. I believe you can get replacement doors and a 956 tail in resin from Stradasports.
Nic

lovegt40
01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
The problem is that Tamiya kit has a correct front end, but born a slot model, so u will work all the buildup with the nightmare to damage windshield and clear parts, moulded on the body.
Other choiche can be correct the front end of hasegawa, that is really a nicer model, but front shape is not correct, even if looking at finished models they look nice anyway (have the rothmans box here on the table.....pictures of the finished model on the box are nice ones)

in other word...a mess. :naughty:

Tim Lucas
01-12-2011, 02:18 AM
The best kit for that is to get the 962 Rothmans transkit from Studio27. I'm not sure if it is still available, but it will do the 1986 version. It's not completely accurate for the 1987.

Thanks - What is the difference between the 1986 and the 1987 version?

Tim

lemansnut
01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Or you could just get the curbside kits from Profil24.

Mike

ScaleCentral
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks - What is the difference between the 1986 and the 1987 version?

Tim

If my memory serves me correctly they had larger tires in 87 and thus had to raise the deck around the wheels.
Nic

beaver63
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
The simplest is to use the '956 from Tamiya and adjust vents at the rear. The adjustment is necessary based on period photos.
Decals does Museum Collection

http://images.megaupload.cz/img_043.jpg

http://images.megaupload.cz/0002GznOv.jpg

mulsannemike
01-15-2011, 08:02 AM
In general, the Hasegawa kit is a nightmare dimensionally regarding the side windows. What makes this most striking is that while it seems to be a case of, "hey, it's only out 2 mm compared to what it should be", but it is visually noticeable when compared to pictures of the real car and I take issue with that:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/Porsche962modeldifferences.jpg

The Tamiya kit is much closer in that regards but for the gaff regarding the cooling intakes. And of course the glass is a total "WTF." But the Tamiya underfloor is by far the most accurate as far as I can tell, and I have many a scraped knee from looking underneath these things. Tamiya modeled the front underfloor "bubble," no one else bothered: neither Hasegawa or Model Factory Hiro (I can't vouch for Proil 24 or the Studio 27). And in many respects I'm unimpressed with MFH's 962, well the body at least. In many respects it appears to be a cribbed Tamiya 956, especially regarding the underfloor. For $300 I don't expect that at all.

So for cost vs. accuracy I'd go with the Tamiya kit IF you can live with it's other obvious issues (glass and the cooling intakes). Of course the cooling intakes can be corrected and the molded in glass can be worked around.

beaver63
01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the comprehensive answer for yourself

Tim Lucas
01-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Mike Thanks for the detailed answer.

I have decided to try and model these using the Tamiya 962 and 956 kits combined.

I am still stuggling though to confirm that the Maunfacturers team used large rear wheels in the 1987 Le Mans as was suggested in a post above.

Thanks
Tim

mulsannemike
01-16-2011, 07:38 AM

I have decided to try and model these using the Tamiya 962 and 956 kits combined.

I am still stuggling though to confirm that the Maunfacturers team used large rear wheels in the 1987 Le Mans as was suggested in a post above.

Thanks
Tim

Going from memory, yes the factory cars did switch to 19" diameter wheels though I'm struggling with what year they did that; my head says '88. Let me see how easily I can find out.

drunken monkey
01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
The Tamiya kit is much closer in that regards but for the gaff regarding the cooling intakes. And of course the glass is a total "WTF." But the Tamiya underfloor is by far the most accurate as far as I can tell, and I have many a scraped knee from looking underneath these things. Tamiya modeled the front underfloor "bubble," no one else bothered: neither Hasegawa or Model Factory Hiro (I can't vouch for Proil 24 or the Studio 27). And in many respects I'm unimpressed with MFH's 962, well the body at least. In many respects it appears to be a cribbed Tamiya 956, especially regarding the underfloor. For $300 I don't expect that at all.

So for cost vs. accuracy I'd go with the Tamiya kit IF you can live with it's other obvious issues (glass and the cooling intakes). Of course the cooling intakes can be corrected and the molded in glass can be worked around.

Just because there seems to be some little distinction as to what Tamiya Kits people are talking about.

The Tamiya 956 kits (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24314porsche956/index.htm) are not the same as their 962 kits.
The 956 kits (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24309porsche956/index.htm) do not have the moulded in clear parts and it has a full(ish) engine.
The 962 kits (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24313porsche/index.htm) are the ones that have the moulded in clear parts and only has the gearbox part (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24233porsche_962c/index.htm) that is visible behind the car.

mulsannemike
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks
Tim

Naturally you have to be careful in doing that: a 956 isn't a 962. There's the 120 mm difference in length ahead of the driver's feet. It was that change that made a 956 a 962.

garnet_garnet
01-18-2011, 04:38 AM
right, i'd forgotten that, it was rule to move the footwell back of the front axle centerline, if i'm not mistaken?

i'm going to follow these threads carefully, as i'd really like to do an accurate '86 leman winner at some point

great info Mike (PS great site too)....thanks :bigthumb:

Naturally you have to be careful in doing that: a 956 isn't a 962. There's the 120 mm difference in length ahead of the driver's feet. It was that change that made a 956 a 962.

mulsannemike
01-18-2011, 05:00 AM
right, i'd forgotten that, it was rule to move the footwell back of the front axle centerline, if i'm not mistaken?

i'm going to follow these threads carefully, as i'd really like to do an accurate '86 leman winner at some point

great info Mike (PS great site too)....thanks :bigthumb:

Technically the driver's feet are in the same location in both cars; they just moved the front wheel CL forward on the 962.

Add your comment to this topic!