Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 GTP Need New Catalytic Converter

roman1978
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I was hearing a rattle from under the car and my tech checked it out and told me the car needs a Converter it has just over $100k. Can anyone suggest a place to get a good aftermarket one because GM one is like $600. He told me to get OEM one because aftermaket ones dont last more then a year. What about used one with low miles form a Junk Yard ?

GTP Dad
01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Try Rock-auto.com. They have several models none of which even come close to the cost that the dealer quoted you. Of course it doesn't cover the cost of installation. But if you have the ability to do the work yourself you can save a lot of money.

danielsatur
01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Federal emission warrenty is 8yr/80k miles on catalytic converters!
''Not sure''

It's worth checking out, because a used catalytic converters is aginst the law.

I like Buying my OEM DEC cats @ http://www.catalyticconverterwarehouse.com , $195
and have the local muffler shop do the install.

Make sure all broken pieces of cat down stream of the exhaust are removed.

roman1978
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
The price is really god but hiw long do they last because i heard peiple having all types of issues with aftermarket convertes like the check engine light comes on

danielsatur
01-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Not sure about aftermarket cats, the OEM's seem to hold up good.
Make sure you do a good tune up, because a bad performing engine can damage cats.

Do you have any DTC's?

roman1978
01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Not sure about aftermarket cats, the OEM's seem to hold up good.
Make sure you do a good tune up, because a bad performing engine can damage cats.

Do you have any DTC's?

I had not have the car scanned but no check engine light s are on

danielsatur
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
A bad suspenshion, pot hole, or an accident can cause the honey comb brick to break apart too!

roman1978
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I just bought this car few months ago it runs fine does not look like it had any accidents just bithers me how loud it is so i desided to take it to my tech to see where that rattle is coming from and he says its from Catalytic converter. I like the car so i dont want to put some aftermarket stuff that will give me more problems then i have now.

GTP Dad
01-11-2011, 07:09 PM
The aftermarket cats are every bit as good as the OEM cats produced today just a lot cheaper. Based on the price you could purchase three of the aftermarket cats to one OEM anyway. I have a Magnaflow on my GTP and it works just fine.

roman1978
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I did look up online for Magnaflow converter and they seem to be good price. does the car sound louder then stock with it and also the chech engine light does not come on for you?

danielsatur
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I read somewhere that the Megaflow cat's might throw DTC's P0420 (bank1), or P0430 (bank2) codes.. '' Catalyst system Efficiency below threshold''

The sound from the tail would be the same, if using the same mufflers.

roman1978
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I would really like to know if that strue about the codes after magnaflow Catalytic install.

roman1978
01-31-2011, 08:45 AM
I would really like to know if that strue about the codes after magnaflow Catalytic install.

Can someone suggest a place where i can get a good price on OEM converter for the car

rkvons
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Can someone suggest a place where i can get a good price on OEM converter for the car
I've had good luck with the following:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
or
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com
Compare their prices and choose the cheapest one. Same part. :naughty:
I bought an aftermarket one (Wagner, maybe) from some outfit online and this was for a '98 Montana Transport. It is still working, but I do believe the GM ones are better. Also, your old one is worth some money, so don't just put it out for the trash man. It has precious metal in it.

Add your comment to this topic!