Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Regal LS stalled abruptly -electric prob?

Rickpatbrown
01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey there,

About a month ago, I replaced the LIM gasket on my 1999 Regal LS. Test driving the car went fine. The next day, when pulling out of my parking lot, the car stalled slightly. It felt like the traction control came on, but that was not the case. When the car stalled, I think that the speedometer bounced all the way up to 125mph and than back down. It hapened really fast, so I'm not completely sure. I know that I saw some gauge blip all the way up. The car never completely stalled and I went on my merry way with no more problems.

Fastforward to the day before yesterday . . . when pulling away from a stop sign, the car completely died. I put the car in park, cranked on it for a second and it started back up. I'm less sure this time if the speedometer bounced, but I think it might have done it again. I'm not sure if the radio went out or not. I was sitting in the middle of an intersection, feeling like an ass :disappoin.

I checked under the hood today and I can hear what sounds like a sparking sound coming from the area where the alternator is. It sounds like a small plastic bag is stuck in the alt. I kinda sounds like it's coming from under the alt, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Ricky

johnt671
01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Check the area the noise is coming from to see if you miss routed a vacuum line or a wire. Go back over everything that you disconnected to do the work and check that all of your vacuum lines and wire connectors are plugged in right. A vacuum leak or loose connector will cause problems.

Rickpatbrown
01-19-2011, 04:22 PM
So I figured out a solution to the problem. I don't have to worry about the electrical problem because I hit a guardrail while driving home from work. We got some really nasty weather Monday night -ice,snow, freezing rain. I spun around and the back left corner hit the rail. The car still drives fine, but the damage is way more than the value of the car, so the insurance company totalled it out. I'm glad that I didn't get injured. Time for a new car.

Add your comment to this topic!