Where can I get a heavy duty V10- converter w/lockup near NYC area for an affordable price?

mikefaster
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi,

After owning my Dodge V10 for 2 years, and only putting on 2,000 miles and converting it into a snow plow truck, my tranny went...

Only the rear (forward) clutches went and I suspect the torque converter died, because it doesn't explain why I had NOTHING...

Seems like the converter was slipping a lot, especially when trying to push a couple of feet of snow during the last blizzard in the NYC area... After that, that explains why the forward clutches went bad, but NOT for a "no reverse" or "no gears at all" condition... It appears the converter died...

Granted, the tranny was supposedly a "recent" rebuild when I bought the truck... I bought the truck with 198,000 and it was done around 165,000 miles...

Anyway, I rebuilt the tranny, modified the valve body... Used better clutches for the forward drum... I think it will be fine... I had bought a stock V10 converter because that's all my supplier had... Then I got the idea for using a stock diesel converter and they told be it was $300, so I passed... Then at the last minute, I changed my mind and bought it, thinking in the long run, it would help, have a lower stall speed, and being made of billet steel, it would last... If I only use the truck for plowing, what good is it if it only lasts 2 years worth of snow storms? I didn't want the converter to die again... GRANTED, the converter looked like it was REUSED when it was last rebuilt because it was NOT painted.. A sign of an original Chrysler converter...

Well, I tried to put it in Friday night and the converter hub pilot is the same, but not very deep and if I bolted the tranny up, the converter would NOT move... So, it is NOT a direct fit as I had thought or researched... Seems like it would have fit if it were a Viper V10 or a SRT-10 truck... It's just pretty different from our trucks...

So now I have to return the converter and take credit for the balance, but I REALLY don't want the stock converter! I'm afraid it won't last and the stall speed is too high when plowing... The gas mileage alone would help with a low stall converter...

Is there anyone in the NYC area that can sell an affordable billet converter for the Dodge V10???

let me know..

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!