Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need advice tranny

ipjkcu
01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
ok iam new hear been reading post but now i need to ask some questions.
first off bought 95 metro 3 cyc. 5 sd. bad tranny. the clutch is shot spins when put in 4th w e-brake on the tranny will not shift in to 3rd or 5th gear. seller also gave me a different tranny says 2nd is shot and also a rebuild kit ( bearings,seals,secniorz) same as the one in the photo from dr bills tranny rebuild. what are my options for the tranny not going in to gear and what the easys way i should go. rebuild it my self, find used in wreking yard. or find out how much shop will charge to rebuild.
i ve never rebuild a tranny but ive done just a bout everthing eles to a car u can think of from rebuild motors to brakes and bodywork. mainly want to no what the problem is with it not going in to gear. i no i will have to split case to find out for sure and iam going to start withh the one that not in car. that supposedly 2nd dont work.
tips hints and advice are greatly appricated
thank you paul
western washingtion

Scrapper
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
those cars when they came out they was suppose to be throw away cars. i went to hunter before they came out i was told this also they told us the drums and rotors would be throw also. a buddy of mine bought 1 and the tranny went out rite away i should tell you he bought it used with 30.000 mls on it when he bought it.

Woodie83
01-10-2011, 03:41 AM
those cars when they came out they was suppose to be throw away cars. i went to hunter before they came out i was told this also they told us the drums and rotors would be throw also.

I think you'll find this forum full of people who have driven Metros over 150 K miles with very little trouble. This completely wrong opinion is not going to fly here. Why don't you "go to hunter" whatever the hell that means, and learn some English.

To ipjkcu: It's out of the ordinary for anything to go wrong inside the gearbox except for worn 2nd gear synchronizers, and that's something you can live with. I would check your mounts and shift linkage before tearing anything apart. For the transmission to not go into gear, it must get full throw from the shifter, loose or sticky shift linkage bushings could compromise that.

mike68
01-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I have rebuilt 2 of these transmissions. Its not too bad of a job, most i've seen have worn 2nd gear syncros. They don't require that much in the way of special tools. You need a press and a bearing seperator and some hand tools and thats it, but if you don't have a press you could get a machine shop to press the bearings on and off.

I also agree with woodie83 check the simple stuff first.

ipjkcu
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
well like i said i have one tranny thats not in and i have a rebuild kit mite as well tear it apart have shop press bearing and sencrozos and put that one in since i have to replace clutch

Add your comment to this topic!