Timing belt replacement

Stites
01-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey again, everyone. My '97 Rodeo is pushing 158K on the odometer, and I'm guessing it still has the original timing belt. I know it's a good idea to replace it and the water pump around 120K, and I know that if the belt breaks the engine's done-sir-done. My question is, how big of a fire am I playing with at the moment? I've gotta save up money to get the replacement parts, so the belt/pump/whatever else under there won't be replaced right away.

Cat Fuzz
01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
The 3.2L V-6 is NOT an interference engine. If you have the 4 cylinder, it IS an interference. The V-6 will suffer no additional damage if the belt breaks while running.

Stites
01-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I thought the SOHC engine was an interference? Knew the DOHC was non-interference. Either way. I really don't want the timing belt to break.:disappoin

Stites
01-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Okay, just finished reading a lot of posts assuring that my V6 is non-interference, woohoo! I still don't want that belt to break, though. Any ideas how long I can go on it, assuming a decent past life from the previous owner(s)?

Cat Fuzz
01-09-2011, 01:30 AM
If you don't want to be stranded, change it soon. BTW, only the 3.5L Direct Injection V-6's are interference. All others are not.

Add your comment to this topic!