Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 windstar squeal without serpentine belt

bhowell
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
2002 Windstar No CEL codes showing

My wife's van started acting up the other day. The van has a high pitch squeal until it warms up and then seems to be less noticeable. On the way home today it made a clunk sound and then it hesitated. It did this twice on the way home. I pulled the serpentine belt tonight and it still squeals. I read that it could be the camshaft sensor running dry. Could this be the cause and would it cause the motor to go clunk and hesitate or is it a spun bearing?

Where is the Camshaft position sensor located? Is it expensive to replace? Is the cam synchronizer bearing part of the sensor? Please explain the difference.

No CEL codes showing.

Thanks

mark_gober
01-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Sounds like the cam synchronizer. I wish I could tell you how to change it, but I've never done it. It's all over this forum though, so feel free to read it.

Mark

CnlK
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I paid around $300 for a motorcraft synchro a few years ago, I've seen aftermarket ones for around $50 that include the sensor and an alignment tool. Can't vouch for any of those, maybe if you stick to a known brand like doorman. The synchro is located above the water pump, the sensor is mounted on the top, where a ford distributor used to be. Listen on synchro with a large screwdriver to confirm source of noise. It is a fairly involved job. To replace, there is a tube that must be removed from top of waterpump, mine was seized in place, had to really work at it without destroying it. Must find TDC compression for #1 cyl, the timing marks on my balancer were barely visible. Do a search on this forum as mark gober mentioned, I've written up my experience and others have also.

bhowell
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I replaced the crank angle sensor and the noise did not stop. What else could be the culprit? I'm concerned that it could be a main bearing. Does this sound logical?

Thanks

wiswind
02-12-2011, 12:39 AM
This is where the camshaft position sensor is located.....the camshaft sensor is mounted on top of the camshaft syncro......I have not done anything with the sycnro...but a search will get you a number of threads where folks have worked with the syncro.
The Camshaft Sensor is labeled as CPS in the picture.

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/44455/2804003860011220610S500x500Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2804003860011220610IkRBFJ)

jayjp200
02-12-2011, 03:58 PM
It is an easy one to fix.

Get the engine to TDC. There are markings on the bottom engine pulley.

Mark the position of the old Cam Synchronizer.

Drop the new one in with the tool (Position tool - VERY IMPORTANT).

Tighten up the bolts and good to go.

The synchronizer is available at "Rockauto".

CnlK
02-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Did the synchro you removed spin freely or show any sign of damage to the sensor? I'm at a loss as to what the noise could be with serp belt removed. Just some wild guesses, is whine coming from blower motor, or does it sound like it could be a vacuum leak?

Add your comment to this topic!