Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 camry leaking

plf86000
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
not sure if it is oil or trans fluid.

95 camry 4 Cyl

Was given the car so I dont have to ride my bike this winter. when running there is a steady drip from between the trans pan and the exhaust. Cleaned the underside with break cleaner, doesnt seem to be running down engine from other places. there is a seal and it seems to be leaking right at a bolt.

Is this the tranny or a oil seal? There is also a lot of it on the exhaust burning off.

thanks for any help, I am new here and searched for about an hour first so please be gentle with me :)

jdmccright
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
To find out which fluid it is, just put a dab on your finger or dab the puddle with a tissue or paper towel, sniff it and check its color. Oil and transmission fluid have very different odors and colors...that's done on purpose for this very reason (well the color at least). If you don't know what they look/smell like, dab the end of each of the oil and tranny fluid dipsticks onto the paper too and compare.

(I will note that old tranny fluid can look like fairly new oil, but will still smell different and is less viscous. It should be a clear red color when new, fading to pink as it is used. If this is the case, I'd suggest having the transmission fluid changed.

Once you've identified which fluid is leaking, you can start by tightening the pan bolts. There is a torque spec for them, but should be basically hand-tight with a wrench (10mm I believe). You don't mention how many miles are on the car or if the pan gasket has ever been replaced, so you should treat them as if they are old and less pliable.

Hope this helps!

plf86000
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
4 more cans of brake cleaner to get all the build up off.

201,000 miles

It is oil. It is running behind this metal cover that is bolted to the side of the transmission.

I doubt the oil pan gasket has been changed. It looks like there is something covering the side of it near the tranny, possibly a rubber mount. Not the easiest to get to.

It only leaks when the car is warmed up. I know all the belts were replaced about 4 months ago. It looks like there is oil from around there too. I get a very slow drip from that side, but only about a drop every hour or so. The drip on the other side is drip drip drip about one every 2 to 3 seconds.

Gonna try to slightly tighten the oil pan bolts. will let ya know.

If I have to get it replaced, any idea what I should be charged? It looks to me like the exhaust would need to be moved to get it off.

jdmccright
01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
The rubber-looking piece between the oil and transmission pans is just a piece of rubber foam. I do not know why it is there...it doesn't protect or cushion anything, just stuck to the side of the pan over a pair of smooth studs. I removed it to access the pan bolts and left it off.

Its' been a while, but I don't recall having to remove the exhaust pipe to get the oil pan off, though it was tight. If the two bolts attaching the downpipe to the cat converter are removable, then undoing those would probably help.

plf86000
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
ok i am gonna yank that piece out it is soaked in oil.

plf86000
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
tightening the oil pan bolts. Drove it about 5 miles ,let it run in driveway for about 20 minutes only had about 5 drops on the pad I put under the car. Drove it 10 more miles, put the pad under it. Still got a leak but it is not something that would have me worried to drive it now. actually dripping more from the passenger side now :) May have a different leak over there.

Thanks for the help. I will replace, or get someone to replace the oild pan gasket. It is gonna snow here soon so I am packing it in for the day.

I know there is a lot of little things that will need to be done, I am not expecting miracles from a 16 year old car but as long as the motor and trans are sound, I dont mind the regualr maintenance. Beats another car payment.

Add your comment to this topic!