Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough idle for less then 1 min, then stalls

RolandMD
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Here we go again! 95 Lumina APV 3.8. I was running OK (some very minor hesitation on initial acceleration and occasionally while maintaining speeds at around 40 MPH). It had good acceleration though and good idle. I put a new battery in and it ran just fine. Then the following morning it started, idled really rough for about 5 seconds or so, then stalled. This happened about 3 or 4 times. I also noticed a smell - not raw fuel or anything I have ever smelled before - but it was a pretty pungent odor.
It will cost me about $85 to have it towed to the mechanic, so any ideas? I am thinking EGR valve? Maybe fuel pump? Not sure, but it went from running well to this - overnight.
Thanks guys,
Roland
(I am addicted to this site!)

RolandMD
01-06-2011, 04:48 PM
OK. On a whim I decided to try and start the van. It fired right up, hesitated for a few seconds, and then the idle evened out. There was still that smell, sort of like something burning, but not plastic (like you smell when wires overheat). Then that too subsided. What is going on?
Thanks again.

Jeffrv
01-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Since the problem showed up after a battery change, and the age of the van, I would first consider loose/corroded wiring issues. Check both all grounds and power wires for clean and tight connections-don't just look at them, put a wrench on them. Pay particular attention to the starter post with the cable and fusible link connections, and the remote battery post located just in front of the driver;'s firewall, next to ABS
Jeff

Add your comment to this topic!