Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Corolla gas leak

pagan1234
01-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi All,
I drive a 93 corolla and some way some how i think the gas cable/pipe running underneath the left rare passenger seat seem broken. I can actually see the cable and couple of holes on it from where the gas has been constantly leaking. If i start the engine, gas squirts/flows fast and when stall, it drips. Anyone know if the cable is replaceable easily ( DIY)? If it not, do you know how much do i have to shell-out to fix this? I can't afford a new car and at the same time, i can't afford costly repairs. Please please please help me.

Thanks.

jdmccright
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Is the leaking fuel line made of metal or rubber? A rubber line would be fairly easy to replace, though you'll probably have to remove the rear seat to unhook the other end of the tubing from the fuel tank.

If the leaking tubing is metal, you could cut the bad section out and use a piece of rubber fuel tubing. I presume it is leaking due to rust. If so, you'll have to cut out all of the rusted portion to get a good seal at the ends when you use hose clamps (double clamp on each end). If you're adept at using a tubing flaring tool, you can flare the ends to provide a better seal around the tubing. Finally, if the replacement rubber is long enough, you'll probably need to secure it so it doesn't hang down.

An alternative would be to buy the piece from a used parts yard.

Welcome to AF...hope this helps!

pagan1234
01-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your response. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=437300)I really appreciate that.
BTW, the fuel line is made of rubber. I will try to remove the rear seat and replace the fuel line like you suggested. Much appreciated.

Thanks

pagan1234
02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi,
I apologize for the delay. I had to go out of country on a business trip. I was able remove the rear seat but i was unable to locate the tubing. I can't even see it because of the hard casing underneith the seat. Do i have to remove it too? I didn't try it. I thought i should seek your advice before i do anything stupid. :)

jdmccright
02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I think I made a mistake in how to access the fuel tank sender. There is a bolted access cover in the trunk area under the flooring, not under the seat...that's what I get for assuming and not checking my facts. I'm very sorry for misleading you.

Remove the cover to gain access to the top of the gas tank and the sending unit. Under the trunk carpeting, it should be held in place with four bolts.

Good luck!

pagan1234
02-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Ok thanks. I am going to give it a try today.

Add your comment to this topic!