Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Caprice Classic steering wheel locking

crobar1
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
It seems that when I step on the break to release the shift lever from park it is difficult to move as it seems locked. It releases sometimes after a lot of giggling or leaving foot on the break peddle, shutting off the key and then turning on the key it then releases.
Is there a linkage problem or is there a switch between the brake peddle and the steering column that is bad?
Thanks for the help.

j cAT
01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
It seems that when I step on the break to release the shift lever from park it is difficult to move as it seems locked. It releases sometimes after a lot of giggling or leaving foot on the break peddle, shutting off the key and then turning on the key it then releases.
Is there a linkage problem or is there a switch between the brake peddle and the steering column that is bad?
Thanks for the help.

hello again ..how did the windows work out..?

the shift issue you have is usually due to the BTSI this is BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID..

THIS IS when the solenoid sticks . the ignition in run , when depressing the brake pedal , energizes this solenoid . then the linkage unlocks the shift lever from park position..

this is mounted on the lower portion of the steering column.

first I would blow out the dust...then if required spray with wd-40 ..

if this does not work the column will need removal and adjustment possibly..

whenever you work on the steering column pull the SIR fuse [air bag]

crobar1
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for replying, Yes the windows worked out great matter of fact I put photos on site of repair. Got heater repaired just in time for very cold weather. Just some debris stuck in the mixer door. Great car. Took a trip to Flowery Branch Ga. 1678 miles one way and it performed great. Mileage was 24 to 25 mpg. Started using Lucas injector cleaner.
I will try your suggestion on that steering column solenoid in the next day or two as I have frozen water pipes to repair first.
Thanks again.

j cAT
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for replying, Yes the windows worked out great matter of fact I put photos on site of repair. Got heater repaired just in time for very cold weather. Just some debris stuck in the mixer door. Great car. Took a trip to Flowery Branch Ga. 1678 miles one way and it performed great. Mileage was 24 to 25 mpg. Started using Lucas injector cleaner.
I will try your suggestion on that steering column solenoid in the next day or two as I have frozen water pipes to repair first.
Thanks again.

I forgot you had that heat problem also. yes this vehicle is good on fuel. I have also got 25-27 mpg regular fuel with hywy driving with my 96 ..

I was out near your area this august. 120deg f is hot..then the storm moved in the last day of our stay..everything got flooded ..

I have a heat wire that is on the water line to my house in the basement where the water comes in ..if it get to about 40deg f or lower the heat wire [insulated to pipe] keeps it from freezing..so far not to cold , very little snow..

good luck !

Add your comment to this topic!