Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Cold Windstar

jknothing
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
I have a 2001 Windstar that will not warm up.:banghead:

No heat, no engine temp.

Outside temp is Zero, changed the thermostat, still the same. Drove for 10-15 minutes, nothing. No heat on the gauge, no heat in the van. Rad resevoir is full:). What is next.

12Ounce
01-06-2011, 04:09 AM
I feel your pain. Its almost impossible to buy a good thermostat for the Windstar. I've tried several ... they seem to work for a short period, and then "nothing". Even if the thermostat did work well, there is such a large bypass built into the coolant path, there would still be a huge warm-up period. I live in the southeast, if it is freezing or below, it can take miles of highway driving to get the gauge to move... and even then it never reaches normal. Driving around town, its even worse. But I get sufficient heat for our needs.

If I lived in a colder area, I would consider partially blocking the radiator for the winter months. Put some cardboard across the radiator front ... similar to what some truckers do. Be careful to watch the gauges ... its easy to overheat, and then you have worse issues.

When I take a vacation up north in winter, I always replace the thermostat just before the trip. So far, it has been OK and nothing further needed. But once we start out each day, we drive 'til sundown. I've changed from bolts to studs around the thermo housing just to make the change-out easier.

serge_saati
01-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Do you drive with dual climate control fan turned ON? If so, it slows down the engine warming.
Driving with both climate control fan off help to warm faster. Although car still have a problem.

Add your comment to this topic!