2000 windstar 3.8 van with a 01 motor installed vibrating

naterbug89
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
okay first post on here so lets see how it goes..
im a full time technician in a do it all shop cuurently i have a 2000 ford windstar with the 3.8 v6 in it.. recently another shop put in a used motor, well the customer called us and told us that the van has been at said shop for 3 weeks and the tech there cant figure it out has been running funny .. so customer dropped it off yesterday i brought it in hooked it up to our snap on verus no codes no data no mode 6 failures so i took it for a long drive ran perfect only thing i notice is a vibration at idle goes away at any rpm over 1000rpms doesnt matter what gear what tempurature parked or waiting at a stop sign the motor vibrates and it shakes the whole car so i started looking around and found that the 2000 & 2001 windstars 3.8s have different balancers and flexplates and dont interchange so i called previous shop and talked to the tech come to find out that when he got his used motor there was no flexplate so he pulled the one off the 2000 motor and put it on the 01 motor so im pretty sure ive found my problem but what is getting me is the vibration goes away after 1000rpms it doesnt get worse like one would think but needless to say the balance is off but i am wanting to talk to a tech somewere who can tell me what the difference is between the 2000& 2001 not sure any help appreciated

grog11
01-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I looked thru the tech manual for vibration at idle and found the following,information, it may help. The torque converter may be out of balance, the drivetrain mounts may not have been neutralized after the engine install, exhaust system connections need relieving.These would be easier to try 1st, than removing the flex plate. My guess would be rotate the torque converter and see how it goes.

Idle vibration—a low-frequency vibration (5-20 Hz) or mild shake that is felt through the seat/floorpan

Possible Source(s):
§ Cylinder misfire.

Action(s) to take:
§ Using a scan tool, CHECK the ignition system. CARRY OUT a cylinder power test. REFER to «Section 303-00».

Possible Source(s):
§ Engine or torque converter out of balance.

Action(s) to take:
§ VERIFY the torque converter to crankshaft pilot clearance is correct, REPAIR as necessary. RE-INDEX the torque converter on the flex plate by 120º on a 3 bolt converter or 180º for a 4 bolt converter. REFER to «Section 307-01». RETEST the vehicle.

o Idle vibration—a high-frequency vibration (20–80 Hz) or buzz, that is felt through the steering wheel or seat

Possible Source(s):
§ Exhaust system mounts bound up.

Action(s) to take:
§ VERIFY concern occurs at engine firing frequency. CHECK that the exhaust system vibrates at the same frequency as the engine. ADD 9–14 km (20–30 lb.) to the tail pipe to test, CARRY OUT «Exhaust System Neutralizing» in this section.

Possible Source(s):
§ Body mounts loose.

Action(s) to take:
§ INSPECT the body mounts. REPAIR as necessary.

Possible Source(s):
§ Power steering lines grounded out.

Action(s) to take:
§ CHECK that the power steering lines are not contacting the chassis or each other. REPAIR as necessary.

Powertrain/Drivetrain Mount Neutralizing

WARNING:
The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Loosen, but do not remove, the powertrain/drivetrain mount fasteners.

3. Lower the vehicle.

4. CAUTION:
Do not twist or strain the powertrain/drivetrain mounts.

Move the vehicle in forward and reverse 0.6-1.2 meters (2-4 ft).

5. Raise and support the vehicle.

6. Tighten the powertrain/drivetrain mount fasteners.

7. Lower the vehicle.

8. Test the system for normal operation

Scrapper
01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
those were bad on head gaskets and upper intake gasket. you think you mite have cracked a plug putting new ones in? when it's idleing dose motor shake? if so look at all vaccum hoses.

naterbug89
01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
okay so good news the van went back to the other shop today. me and the shop owner came to the conclussion that this was a fight we didnt want a part of however i thank you for your response and im going to keep tabs on this i know a guy at the other shop..to answer on the running problem the van had a new intake from for put on it and the gaskets were changed brand new plugs and wires i checked the plugs and wires when it came to us for cracks burn marks and the resistance so we pretty much narrowed it down to a mechanical vibration{mounts,exhaust,incorrect flexplate,and balancer} so that was are diagnosis and the shop owner said we didnt want anymore to do with it so for now thats all i got but i will keep up on it

bradw18
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
iv ben looking threw a lot of threads and i found this 1 i have a 98 windstar van that shakes the whole van at a idle i thought it might of had something to do with the egr ports so i took the upper off and cleaned the egr ports last night.... made it run better but still a bad vibration.. i bought it cheap and now i am regreating it. the tranny shifts good motor runs strong just a vibration from hell.... any body know were to start? its not throwing any codes either.

Add your comment to this topic!