Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'07 battery connector

alsdock
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Yesterday, I was idling (07 accord 4cyl) waiting for someone and decided to shut off the engine to conserve fuel. About 10 minutes later, I tried to start it but it was dead. I looked under the hood and notice a significant amount of blue crystals gathered around the positive terminal connection. I removed the red plastic cover and saw that the connector clamp strap that's suppose to attach to the terminal post was completely disintegrated. I called the dealer for advice and they said to bring it in and they'll attach a temporary connecter, but that I will eventually have replace the entire wire assy. guestimating about $275. I thought that this should be a warranty item apparently it doesn't apply to electrical parts that are subjected to corrosion that's considered normal. So any costs is my responsibility. I then called a tow truck to take the car to the dealer. As luck would have it, the road assistance driver had an extra terminal connector and got me all squared away in about 10 minutes, thus avoiding the tow. After talking to the driver of what the dealer told me and what he saw, his comment was that Honda could have done a better job in that design. He said the copper strap is much too thin and if any corrosion accumulates, failure would occur as it did.

My question is, is an aftermarket terminal repair adequate? The car seams fine now as I can see the clamp is much sturdier and secure. The dealer said a temporary connector should only last about 6 months but that I will need to get a factory wire assembly to replace any temporary configuration. Is this a bogus statement from the dealer? I would think that since the dealer has been doing all of the maintenance, they should've cleaned the corrosion off and this ordeal wouldn't have been a problem.

Scrapper
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Yesterday, I was idling (07 accord 4cyl) waiting for someone and decided to shut off the engine to conserve fuel. About 10 minutes later, I tried to start it but it was dead. I looked under the hood and notice a significant amount of blue crystals gathered around the positive terminal connection. I removed the red plastic cover and saw that the connector clamp strap that's suppose to attach to the terminal post was completely disintegrated. I called the dealer for advice and they said to bring it in and they'll attach a temporary connecter, but that I will eventually have replace the entire wire assy. guestimating about $275. I thought that this should be a warranty item apparently it doesn't apply to electrical parts that are subjected to corrosion that's considered normal. So any costs is my responsibility. I then called a tow truck to take the car to the dealer. As luck would have it, the road assistance driver had an extra terminal connector and got me all squared away in about 10 minutes, thus avoiding the tow. After talking to the driver of what the dealer told me and what he saw, his comment was that Honda could have done a better job in that design. He said the copper strap is much too thin and if any corrosion accumulates, failure would occur as it did.

My question is, is an aftermarket terminal repair adequate? The car seams fine now as I can see the clamp is much sturdier and secure. The dealer said a temporary connector should only last about 6 months but that I will need to get a factory wire assembly to replace any temporary configuration. Is this a bogus statement from the dealer? I would think that since the dealer has been doing all of the maintenance, they should've cleaned the corrosion off and this ordeal wouldn't have been a problem.

i 2nd that.

jgr7
01-04-2011, 11:25 PM
So the dealer is telling you that a factory connector is good for 3 years and a temp/after market connector is only good for 6 months? Sounds like you need a new dealer. That after market connector if properly installed and maintained should last forever.
Jeff

alsdock
01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Good point. The crazy part is this. The dealer touts a "Honfidance" policy where if you have them do all the maintenance, they extend your warrenty to 5 yrs or 100000 miles. Since I've agreed to have the dealer perform the maintenance since I purchased the vehicle from them, I thought that it should be covered under the warranty. So when I was told it didn't apply to electrical items, I started thinking that perhaps I was misrepresented. My next visit will include a conversation regarding this episode and I'' definately discuss this issue with the salesperson, who I trust. I really do enjoy the car and can't complain because this is the first problem I've had since I purchased it back on '06.

Scrapper
01-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Good point. The crazy part is this. The dealer touts a "Honfidance" policy where if you have them do all the maintenance, they extend your warrenty to 5 yrs or 100000 miles. Since I've agreed to have the dealer perform the maintenance since I purchased the vehicle from them, I thought that it should be covered under the warranty. So when I was told it didn't apply to electrical items, I started thinking that perhaps I was misrepresented. My next visit will include a conversation regarding this episode and I'' definately discuss this issue with the salesperson, who I trust. I really do enjoy the car and can't complain because this is the first problem I've had since I purchased it back on '06.

did you buy your car new? there feeding you a bunch of bull. if you never bought it new do you have a car fax? i'm wandering this because my wife bought a 2006 malibu and i never knew she was even buying it and sister went with her the dumb a;zzz they pray on women i had to go over there twice the rack was out of it they said they never heard no popping we went about 3 or 4 feet and POP. so women take a man with you when you buy.

Add your comment to this topic!