Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Recurring SE Light EGR valve

Electric_mouse
01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Lately my 90 Buick PA 3.8 engine will periodically bring up a code 41 EGR valve. I've taken it apart and it looks clean. Resistances are within the ball park. Reset the engine light by disconnecting the battery and it will not reappear, sometimes for a few hundred miles. This is a pain in the butt. Lately I've just ignored it and it goes away by itself!! This is always with city driving and each time came up when deccelerating. I haven't noticed it on longer trips so far.

Is it time to find another EGR valve or is there something I can do with this one?

Thanks

HotZ28
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
This code is an early warning to replace the EGR valve. Do you have the valve with three solenoids on the top, or the vacuum actuated valve? Parts listing shows one or the other were used and the solenoid controlled valve cost more, but either one is cheap insurance, considering the engine damage that could occur with a malfunctioning EGR.

Electric_mouse
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM
This the three coil type of EGR valve. I has come up twice now in thepast few weeks and cleared after a day or two of driving (short city trips, probably not more than 10-15 miles.

You mention damage to the engine. In what way?

HotZ28
01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
You mention damage to the engine. In what way?The EGR valve allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold, which is used to cool the intake charge. The exhaust that your EGR valve recirculates, also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions test. If you have a malfunctioning EGR, you will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on acceleration, along with detonation (pinging) which can eventually damage the pistons, rings & valves. I would not hesitate to replace it!

jrecken
01-14-2011, 01:40 AM
hotz28 is spot on, a bad egr cost me a valve job.

Jrs3800
01-15-2011, 02:12 PM
If this is a 90 Park Ave, Code 41 is Cam sensor circuit...

Add your comment to this topic!