Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Montana Tail Lights

Muskieman
01-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Through Google, I know all about the shorted out plug on the Montana tail lights. Mine started doing the same thing, and when removing the assembly, I saw the charred plug where the groung wire connects to the harness. I attempted to file and clean the area, and even tried to put a small piece of wire into the hole where the ground plug goes in. Somebody on one of these boards touted that as a temporary fix. The turn signals began working normally, but now the van won't start. I'm guessing I may have corrupted the connection or loosened it. I'm kind of freaked that I may have damaged it worse. Freaked enough that I went ahead and cut the ground wire where it goes into the plug. When I tried to start it it made a bit of a gringing sound and when I turn the key off the power locks clicked a couple of times. Man I wish I would have not even fooled with it! Any suggestions?

Muskieman
01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I guess I forgot to ask the question - if that tail light ground wire is not attached, would that cause it to not start?

spike88
01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
As a repair suggestion, visit many auto supply stores and purchase a new tail light socket (pig tail replacement). To get proper match, simply remove the old socket and take the broken part with you. Many auto stores sell replacement "universal" ping tail replacements. When installing new bulbs (in any 12V socket), remember to wipe dielectric grease on the contact points as well. Thus, stopping moisture (and creating better contact) within the socket. re: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStvDIwXkony4OyjDKMhqd1OsCQv3HIp BOtl1K1JPxIYZD3bO-t7g

Not too sure why the engine would "grind" or sound differently when ground wire from rear socket is snipped. If you feel this is the problem, take Battery to Engine Ground, Battery to Frame Ground and Battery to steel fender ground wire(s), remove them, wire brush their contact points, add dielectric grease and re-attach. Thus, creating much better contact. And, reducing its "ground via tail light ground wire" back feed flow.

Hope this helps...

gearhead514.2008
03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Not sure why it would cause van not to start either. I own one of these GM beauties, and let me tell you, these vans are electrical nightmares. I have been around the block with these vans a couple hundred times. Between the dreaded intake gaskets and the electrical issues. I should have bought a ford. Anyways, the fried ground wire for your taillights could be just a symptom of a bigger problem. I had the same issue. You can buy a new bulb socket and wire it up and it will do the same thing again. The actual problem will lie under the carpet beneath the driver and passenger seats. GM made all their wire connections there. They lay the wires together in this location from the various points ,like your taillights, and they crimp them together with a metal crimp. Then they wrap black duct tape, yes I said duct tape, around the crimps to protect them. However, they are not waterproof. When you get in your van with your wet or snow covered shoes and that water soaks through the carpet, these electrical connections get wet and the wires corrode and sometimes even break apart. I'm guessing you have or will have your door locks and /or your power windows quit working. Those wires run through the same area. When I took mine apart, the wires for the taillights were not only corroded, but when they have a bad connection, the wires get hot and they turned black about 2 feet down the wire. If you strip it back, you will see. I ran all new wires from the electrical connector up in the dash and back to the taillights. The wires for the door locks and windows simply fell apart and I could repair them. If this sounds like your van, this is what you are in for. The ground wire gets hot and melts the plastic because it could have a bad connection up front. If you get the taillights working and you don't see any coolant leaking out the side of the motor, sell it quick. Buy a different make of van. I know they are nice vans, but not worth the problems. I don't mean to be harsh, but if I could go back in time, I would have never bought mine. A few hundred feet of wire and a new motor, mine finally runs good.

Add your comment to this topic!