Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Windstar. Hazzards will not stop flashing

trapper1
01-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I found a dead Windstar this morning! Absolutely no power left in the battery, after a plug ino the booster I quickly found a rear wiper motor that was stuck and draining the battery. after disconnecting I was able to start the van only to have the emergency flashers come on and stay on. And I mean on even with the fuse pulled and the entire switch removed from the steering console. I was not able to locate a relay or switch for the hazzards / flashers anywhere. Tried a reset to the computer by disconnection and grounding out the power cables still no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Tks

mark_gober
01-02-2011, 11:33 PM
According to the diagrams that I have access to (which is a 2000 Windstar), the multifunction switch (which includes the hazard). Pins 8 & 9 of the multifunction switch are grounded when the hazards are activated. Those grounds go to the instrument cluster pins 13 & 14, respectively.

Your instrument cluster talks to both the front and rear electronics modules. The FEM turns on your forward hazard lights, and the REM turns on the rear lights. Are both front and rear lights flashing? If so, your problem lies before the FEM/REM. Because you say that you've taken the switch out, I'd look at the instrument cluster.

Which fuse did you pull. In the diagram that I have, it appears to be fuse 12 and 18.

Mark

JIM THERIAULT
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I was having the same problems with my 03 windstar checked everything and it ended up being the gauge cluster. Something inside must of shorted nothing looked burnt, but its the only thing i could not test. So I bought a used cluster for 100 bucks and it solved the problem.

trapper1
01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your input Mark it really helped to know that the cluster talks to the FEM and REM. And yes both front and back lights are flashing. Or they were till I removed the bulbs...to drive it!
I am looking for a replacement cluster so thanks also to you Jim for your input. I think you guys have me on the right track.
Question though! Did you need to have anything calibrated on the cluster you installed or were you able to throw it in and go?

JIM THERIAULT
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I just installed it and everything worked

Add your comment to this topic!