Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Lesabre vacuum fittings

2buicks
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Happy New Years to all. I recently had the UIM/LIM replaced by our local Buick dealership and a week after, I started receiving a check engine light. When hooking up the OBD, I was getting a P0440 code. When I lifted the engine cover, I immediately saw one connector at the Purge valve was split, but the mechanic was nice enough to tape it up with electrical tape. With the heat of the engine, that didn't last long! I replaced the bad connector with a piece of 1/4" vacuum tubing, cleared the code and I thought I had my problems behind me. Two weeks later, the light is back on and again off with the engine cover, I noticed the 3-way vacuum "T" connector at the throttle body was also split and again was taped up with electrical tape. This 3-way connector goes from the throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator and also in the opposite direction to the transmission vacuum modulator (I assume that is the modulator).

Does anybody know where I can get one of these connectors. All three openings of the connector are different size and looks like maybe only available thru Buick? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

danielsatur
12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Try your local Auto parts store in the Dorman products.

Jrs3800
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Actually that part does not exist anymore and hasn't for years... I also tried to get the rubber fitting for my car and the dealer had to do a nationwide search and only came up with one part... They gave me that for free as they could not get the other part...

You might find something in the help section that will work, or come close... But you will not find that exact part... For the 3800 this part you are looking for was only used for 3 years, 95-96 and 97...

danielsatur
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Try your local hardware store for brass fittings!

Jrs3800
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
That would work too

2buicks
01-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I did manage to get the "T" fitting at the Buick dealership. I also needed the rubber 90 degree elbow at the fuel pressure regulator but they didn't have those. I stopped at a Bennett Auto Supply and they had one made by HELP. The car threw another P0440 code this week so hopefully maybe these two items will help. I still haven't checked the rear near the fuel tank or under the charcoal cannister to see if there are any fittings there that might be bad. Still whitteling away at it.

HotZ28
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
There is an elbow in the hose coming from the charcoal canister, which is located under air inlet box that usually will crack if ever disturbed. In addition, be sure to check the elbows @ the EVAP purge & solenoid valve located on backside of UIM. One elbow is located on the bottom of purge valve which is very hard to see and usually cracks on the bottom, making it even harder to see without removal.

DarkSetz
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I did manage to get the "T" fitting at the Buick dealership. I also needed the rubber 90 degree elbow at the fuel pressure regulator but they didn't have those. I stopped at a Bennett Auto Supply and they had one made by HELP. The car threw another P0440 code this week so hopefully maybe these two items will help. I still haven't checked the rear near the fuel tank or under the charcoal cannister to see if there are any fittings there that might be bad. Still whitteling away at it.
"HELP" as in the "Dorman HELP!" brand?

Do you happen to know the part name and/or number for either the "T" fitting or rubber 90 degree elbow?

There is an elbow in the hose coming from the charcoal canister, which is located under air inlet box that usually will crack if ever disturbed. In addition, be sure to check the elbows @ the EVAP purge & solenoid valve located on backside of UIM. One elbow is located on the bottom of purge valve which is very hard to see and usually cracks on the bottom, making it even harder to see without removal.
Is that 90 degree elbow the same size/type at all of those locations?

2buicks
05-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm glad I saved all my receipts. Below are the parts and numbers:

Rubber 3-way TEE at the throttle body, GM #24502852
Rubber straight fitting just above the TEE, GM #24503413
90* rubber fitting at the fuel pressure regulator that worked best for me was Dorman part #47411 ( 9/64" X 5/32" ).
The 90* fitting I got from Bennet Auto Supply I thought I would be able to use was a 1/4" 90*, Dorman #47092, which ended up being too large for the fuel pressure regulator. Looks like a nice connector, might be able to use it in future applications.

The GM parts I listed above, I was able to purchase from FAST GM PARTS, ask for Trish, she knows her GM parts. I also purchased a new purge valve, GM #1997210 from them at the same time. The vacuum lines (2) that attach to the purge valve, I found Dorman #47429 1/4" straight rubber connector 2" long worked great, just a small amount of trimming.

All these parts solved my problem 0440 code. I did find one rubber connector disconnected under the air box and PCM (thanks to a tip on a previous post). I also replaced that fitting and reattached.

Hope this helps. Age and heat really deteriorates these vacuum fittings!

Add your comment to this topic!