Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

confirm me?

kgriggs75
12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Friend calls me says his 97 van b2500 3.9 wont start. i get there it turns over fine acts like it wants to start but wont. i pull out my tester it tells multiple misfire and codes for 2356 cylders misfiring. this part is not new. i check engine data and notice the computer is not changing the timing when its trying to start. I tow the van to my house and check fuel pressure 48lbs no drop. check coil tests good. test the cps and it showes good but as soon as i plug it back in the van starts. to test i removed it from the van and one of the hold down bolts was not tight. the van starts instantly and shows no trouble codes at all. iam still thinking either the cps is failing or there is a ground issue.

alloro
12-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Considering that disconnecting then reconnecting the CPS connector allowed the engine to start, you could just be looking at a bad connection there.

Tommy2500
01-02-2011, 04:03 AM
F.Y.I. I had a cps connector go bad on my 96 B2500 5.9. Cut it out, resoldered in a new one. I've had a few other connector problems with this Van....good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!