Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Odyssey Plug change

dra1
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Getting ready to change my 2005 Odyssey sparks plugs. Anybody change theirs as they appear to be hard to see. Can they all be done from the top? This is the first time as I am coming up on 100k.:uhoh:

BullShifter
12-29-2010, 06:03 PM
They are simple, well pretty easy.

Get the plugs from Honda!
Make sure engine is cool - key off
Remove front engine cover
Remove top engine cover
Unplug 6 coils
Remove 6 allen bolts
Left out coils - the back 3 are harder
Remove plugs and re-install

You will need a variety of extensional because a long one is too long in some spots and shortys are too short so 2 3" extensions work well. Drop the socket down in the hole insert extensions, then separate to remove for spark plug tube. A magnet will aid in remove of plugs once they are loosened. Make sure to tighten them enough to where the crush washers crushes. I don't torque them but I also work on them every day.

badbrakes
02-13-2011, 06:43 AM
I have on 03. The plugs aren't difficult to replace. The back ones will necessitate a bit of creativity to reach but nothing major really. I also got the Honda plugs... it's nice cause they are pre-gapped but they charge you dearly for the plugs. All in all probably a half hour job.... unless you open up the beer prior to finishing the job... then all bet's are off with the back plugs.

dra1
10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Finally changed the plugs. Thanks for the advice. It took about an hour as I took my time. Very good advice about the two 3 inch extensions. Thanks again.
Also got my plugs from NAPA, the Honda garage wanted about $25 each, NAPA charged half that.

Add your comment to this topic!