Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Loud Roaring Noise

Heatherp711
12-27-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS with a manual transmission. I hit a fairly large bump awhile back when they were resurfacing a road at about 45mph. Ever since then I have had a loud roaring noise coming from my front end and it gets worse when I turn the wheel to the right even to go around curves. I took it to one shop and they told me I needed a front end alignment and 2 new tires. I took it to another shop to get a second opinion and they told me that my internal axle bearings were messed up so my husband had them replace the axle it did not fix it so they put my old axle back in they said it was probably the wheel bearing since it was pitted & had a lot of discoloration (blue and red) they changed it but the noise is still there. What could this possibly be? I don't have the money to keep fixing stuff that is not working. My check engine light keeps coming on and then will go off after a few days too. I try to get by to a auto store and every time I do the light goes off before I can get there...

Thank you for any info that could be provided

AJT1961
12-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Could be that you bent the unibody (or something else) and the roar you describe is actually vibration noise that is usually isolated by the rubber in the various mounts. Put the car up on a rack and carefully look at the engine/transaxle/suspension and all the mounting points to make sure everything is centered in the rubber grommets and in the proper place. Also check the exhaust system for bends and anything else where metal could be touching metal. It's the kind of thing that is very obvious if you are looking for it and almost invisible if you are not. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Heatherp711
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advise. I will be taking it to ANOTHER shop next weekend & I will be sure to let you know what it was.

studioscoops
01-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Please check the ends rubber that connect sterring rod to wheels. I experienced same problem and this was the solution. best of luck

Heatherp711
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
So it turns out that the oh so intelligent guys at the mechanic shop changed out the wrong hub :eek7:. My husband changed out the passenger one last night and IT STOPPED making the loud roaring sound. Only problem is now there is a clicking sound that we think are the CV joints...I REALLY REALLY HATE THIS CAR...:banghead:

Scrapper
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
yah and it's probly the outer c/v joint? now instead of just replacing outer joint i would get the whole half/shaft it cost just about the same just to try changing one c/v joint.

good luck....

scrapper......

Add your comment to this topic!