Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OIL - My .02 cents.

Huney1
12-24-2010, 09:57 AM
I am aware of Toyota specs using 0-20 or 5-20 oil in some engines. My 2010 S model qualifies. I read they come from the factory with full syn oil and I guess that's a good thing, Mercedes has been shipping theirs for a long tiem with full syn. Deciding which oil you want, I got two years free maintanance oil changes another good thing. We should remember, when they ship a car, any car, they know not where it will be first used, Fargo, ND ultra frigid or Houston Texas burning heat. So they put the best oil for general use. As for us as individuals, I live on the East Coast not far from Savannah, GA and if you wanty hot try I-95 during July & August dog days. Cop cars sit idling for ann hour usually pop the hood but goes to show just what abuse oil & engines can take. So, I will stay with good ole 10W-30 and believe I will be good to go. Braek in oil stays in three thousand miles then I get Toyota's free oil change. If they won't do 10W-30 then I'll let them do 5W-20 until the freebies run out then it's 10W-30. Our Toyo's live in the garage where it never freezes, another reason I favor 10W-30.

You live up North where it is extremely cold then by all means, do the 0W-20.
My point here is they RECOMMEND a oil and it's up to us to make a prudent decision which is best for us. I drive "fun" but not fast for long periods and I NEVER bring my engine to the red line and float the valves. If you are a give-it-he(( pedal to the metal, go with the super full syn and have fun. But for old coots like me or normal drivers, a syn blend oil will suffice. Troopers, Sheriff & Police here use the MotoCraft syn blend 5W-20 in Crown Vics, Mustangs & Dodges so if it works for them you can bet your sweet pippy it will work for me.

Yawl' have a very Mery Christmas and the best of everything to ya' in 2011.
And for goodness sakes! I beg you, PULEEZZEE DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!

Add your comment to this topic!